Tuesday, February 01, 2011

I AM GOING TO VITA VEGAN-CON BLOGGERS CONFERENCE!


So, some weeks back, I filled out a scholarship application for Vida Vegan Con (the Vegan Blogger's Conference being held in Portland
this summer). SO excited this event is so close to home!! I may have mentioned it?

The wonderful people at VeganCon were offering scholarships for several lucky people, and since my "Conference Savings Account" has only amassed a very unlucky $25.00, I decided to apply.

Then, I deleted the application because I thought I sounded stupid.
And broke and desperate and cheap and greedy and selfish and broke. (And I definitely AM some of those things.)

But..... I really wanted to go, so I sucked it up and filled it out again. And deleted it.
I went through this process several more times, and finally just a day before the deadline, I FINALLY submitted a scholarship application that I hoped was only slightly less desperate and sucky sounding than previous attempts.

And then I crossed my fingers. Clutched my lucky (fake) rabbit's foot. Prayed. Panicked. Hoped. Kept saving my pennies. And prayed some more. Because the harsh reality was, I just wasn't scraping together extra pennies very fast.

Then, in the end, I totally forgot scholarship winners would be announced at the end of January. (Hey, I had a lot of other serious craziness going on last week - cut me a little slack here!).

Long story short; I was totally shocked when I opened my e-mail late last night to the following:
"Hey there, scholarship winner!
We just wanted to let you know that you've
got a weekend registration to Vida Vegan Con
with your name on it."

What? (*Checks the address*)
Me? (*Check my address*)
This isn't a mistake? (*Double checks the e-mail*)
It seems legit. YESssssssssss! (*Sinks in*)
I actually won. Wow. (*Hyperventilates!!*)

Needless to say, I am SO SO SO SO Sooooooooooo excited and honored and shocked and happy and thrilled and amazed and THANKFUL!!! SO thankful.

I promise I will blog about the whole amazing event and every experience leading up to and during - right here on my not-so-trusty lil' laptop...

A million heartfelt Thank-You's to Janessa, Jess & Michele; conference planners, organizers and scholarship-hander-outers extraordinaire. You can't imagine how thrilled I am.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi - I was just over at Vida Vegan checking out the Con and saw your name - Congratulations!! You totally deserve it, (if for no other reason than your awesome Gravy MoFo). I'm hoping to go - with it being so close, it's almost shameful to miss it. Maybe I'll even get to finally meet you face-to-face!

Sincerely, Renee (Gaelynn's Sister)

Tami said...

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to meeting the person behind the blog.

Karyn said...

OMG! OH I am so happy for you! Congratulations! Woo Hoo! have a super duper great awesome time!

hugs,
Karyn

Anonymous said...

Congrats! I wish I could go too :-)

Courtney

Fanny said...

Hooray! Congrats to you! I agree with the other commented, your mofo should've been enough to let you go, it was so awesome.

Jen said...

congrats! i hope to see you there.

Lynn said...

Fab news, I'm already looking forward to the posts.

celyn said...

Hooray! Congratulations.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

CONGRATS! So super stoked for you!

Anonymous said...

you really deserved it
Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! What wonderful news. I am going to be going also, so I'm excited to finally get to meet you. (In case you are wondering who in the world I am, I used to spend time over on VeggieBoards a few years back, under the name of Colorful, then Cornflower). I've actually been looking for someone to carpool with as we are a one car family and I don't want to leave hubby home with three boys and no transportation. We should talk!

JL Goes Vegan said...

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the conference, too!

By the way, my b-day is September 3, too! We should have a vegan cupcake to celebrate in Portland! LOL

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

AWWW! Thanks all - how sweet are these replies!?! I'd love to meet EVERYONE, we'll have to walk around peering at each other's nametags!! SO EXCITED!!
@Renee: Definitely sign up!! PLEASE come!! I'll find you - we can hang out and talk trash about Gaelynn!! (KIDDING of course, about the trash talking anyway, I only know good things) Heehee!
@veganspoonful/colorful: are you on Facebook? add me there or contact me here close to the date and we'll talk carpool - that could DEFINITELY work!! You're in the Sea/Tac area still? Awesome!
@JL - it's on, birthday cupcake in PDX.. or there's some insanely good vegan doughnuts too, heck, maybe a pastry tour of the town?

janessa said...

You are so great! I'm so excited to see you this August. xo