Monday, January 31, 2011

'Tater "Toddlers"


I won't call them "Tater Tots" of course, because of copyright and all that. It's OK, these aren't the same. I happen to like this recipe better - first of all, because it's mine; second because homemade is ALWAYS better.
Besides, they're more like flattened-fried-shredded-herby-potato-balls than those "Tot" things. My kids have called these 'Tater Toddlers' forever, so that's what I'm calling them here.

As an added bonus, you can also make these ahead, store in the freezer and pop in the oven when needed.

'Tater Toddlers

8 medium potatoes, cooked, peeled, and hot
1 tablespoon flour
1 dash pepper
1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
2 tablespoons finely minced onions
2 tablespoons minced fresh herbs of your choice
peanut or coconut oil

While potatoes are still hot, finely shred (in a food processor with a shredder blade) potatoes, (or use a ricer).
Stir in flour, salt, pepper, onion and herbs. You should have a sticky, but moldable dough. If too moist, add a bit more flour.
Heat 1/4-in oil in a cast-iron pan until a bit of potato sizzles and turns golden quickly. (Sorry, I don't know an exact temperature).
Form potato mixture into small, slightly-flattened balls and drop in oil.
Dry until slightly golden, turning if needed so all sides brown.
Drain on paper towels. If eating now, serve and enjoy while hot.

If saving for later, cool on paper towels, lay on cookie sheet in the freezer until frozen and then transfer into ziploc bags.
If using from frozen: Remove from freezer, place frozen 'tater toddler balls on a baking sheet and bake in single layers at 400 degrees until desired doneness - about 15 min.

6 comments:

celyn said...

I'm thinking this post could be mobbed by salivating PPK'ers. YUM!

Catherine Weber said...

YUM! I love love love Tots, and I agree, homemade would be better! :)

Lori said...

My sons LOVE Tator Tots. I'm going to have to try these. They look yummy!

Carolyn said...

Tater Tots with actual FOOD in them??? Actual HERBS, and not a chemistry set??? What a concept! These babies have joined the Potato Files in my recipe folder.

But I wonder if I should tell my sister next time we chat that I fried up some Toddlers for breakfast Sunday morning... it might not go over so well?

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

These are entirely too cute!

Alex @ delicious-knowledge.com said...

My boyfriend is going to love you! Tator tots are his favorite. Thanks for the recipe! I cant wait to make these

Alex

www.delicious-knowledge.com