Saturday, February 05, 2011

Superbowl Winner!

OK, I'm not predicting the winner of tomorrow's game.

No, I'm not psychic (though maybe psychotic, as that's what my Spell-Check tried to insert there).


But I do have a winning dip recipe to share with you. (I've been on a "winning" streak here, I should maybe buy a lottery ticket?)

See, Friday we had a "Superbowl Snacks" contest at work. Well, at one of my work-places, I work several jobs, heh!
I guess it's a pretty big deal, as co-workers have been talking it up for weeks. Bacon, pepperoni, cheese, sour-cream... Uncharacteristically (for me) I figured a vegan snack might not stand a chance and proceeded to do my job and hang out at the water-cooler, rather than plan award-winning Superbowl snacks.

However... Wow-ing omni folk with yummy vegan food is sorta my "thing", so in a half-hearted attempt, I threw this dip together with ingredients in my 'fridge and submitted it to the staff-room potluck/snackky smörgåsbord/meaty-cheesy fest/contest...

And, to my amazement... Score!!
It was finished off, the bowl licked clean and chosen "Best Dip".
Yes, against things like Bacon-Spinach-Ranch and Crab-Curry and Manchego-Mango...
Tofu Mom strikes again. And yes, people were shocked to find out it was "that weird vegan stuff".
(Eternal skeptics - I did get a few mumbles about "it wasn't really my favorite" or "I could tell it had something funny about it") but everyone else raved and raved. I was happy. And won a Safeway gift card. Woo.


Seriously though? ALL the credit really goes to Nacho Mom and her incredible Vegan Queso, because that was the base for this yummy dip recipe. A dip-within-a-dip if you will.
If you haven't tried Vegan Queso yet, by ALL MEANS leave your house right this moment and GO! Locate a jar. Seriously, the stuff is fantastic and totally vegan/gluten-free/low calorie/amazing!! Get at least two jars. One to inhale plain, because it's amazing straight out of the jar - and one to use in this fabulous (and "prize-winning" - woo) dip recipe.

Without further yammering, HERE'S the recipe:

Chunky Queso-Cilantro Dip

1 Jar Fire-Roasted Nacho Mom's Vegan Queso
1 cup vegan "sour cream"
1 1/2 cups your favorite chunky salsa
1/2 teaspoon (or to taste) favorite hot sauce (I used Franks, 'cause it's what I had)
1 tbsp. minced jalapenos (to taste, the one I had was pretty mild)
1/4 cup finely minced purple or red onions
1/2 cup or more finely chopped fresh cilantro


Mix Vegan Queso, sour-cream, salsa, hot sauce, jalapeno and onion together in small sauce-pan (or microwave dish). Heat until bubbly, stirring as needed.
Remove from heat, pour into serving dish, stir in cilantro.

Serve with chips. Yummmmmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh yum! I have been wanting to try that Nacho Mom dip ever since I read about it in VegNews. I was always a huge Salsa con queso fan. I've tried making my own by mixing some salsa into Can't Say It's Cheese cheddar dip.

Catherine Weber said...

Well done you! I'm always surprising my coworkers with "weird healthy" food, too! :)