Friday, July 13, 2007

Baseball, Hotdogs, etc. etc...

Yesterday evening was spent in beautiful 80 degree weather at Safeco Field (Seattle's baseball stadium, for those who are less sports-inclined than I am).


Seattle Mariners. vs. Detroit Tigers Yay! Seattle won which made the evening even more worthwhile! And Safeco is such a great place to watch a game anyway. Even from the "cheap seats" the view was spectacular!

I mainly wanted to post because my kids were so cute - and OK, because I'm also impressed that Seattle has been rated one of PETA's Top Ten "Vegetarian Friendly Ball Parks".

There was all sorts of veggie goodness to drool over/choose from. Much of it was vegan!
Of course, most important, there were veggie hotdogs.
What baseball game is complete without a hot dog - and in veg-friendly Seattle? We get to have veggie dogs with our baseball!

And for those who prefer something else along the veggie lines? There were also veggie burgers of several types and grease-levels, veggie sushi, deli sandwiches, fresh fruit, salads, baked potatoes, and the famous and completely amazing and wonderful GARLIC FRIES which you MUST eat, (even if it's only in self defense).
The fries are addictive. These big, hand-cut slabs of potato, topped with tons of minced fresh garlic and herbs. Heaven. (Really, I want to lick my picture here just thinking about them.)

Of course the kids gorged on blecchy things like "Dippin' Dots" and frightening-colored Jones sodas after they'd done the garlic fries. Yum.

Gotta love these American traditions.

11 comments:

Tracy said...

Aww jeez, some of your posts just make me so jealous...I've never been to a real baseball stadium...(the nearest one to where I live is about...ahhh, let's see....a twelve hour drive away? Maybe someday though, it's on my Life List. And so great to have a veggie dog to complete the picture. I'm going to have to try to replicate those fries, BTW!

bazu said...

I've only been to one baseball game (Yankees/Indians at Yankee stadium) but I'd go back for some of those garlic fries--- drooool.

Jenni Shortt said...

mmm... it all sounds very American!!!

Veggie Cookster said...

That's cool that the park offers veggie options! I'm a Tigers fan myself ;) but I haven't been down to the park in awhile to see what kind of veggie options they offer, if any. A restaurant across the street from the park is veggie-friendly tho, so at least veggies can eat there and then go inside the park. And, those garlic fries looks amazing!!!

aTxVegn said...

Boy, ballpark food has come a long way! What fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh yum! Those garlic fries sound incredible. I do hope you try to replicate them and share your recipe. I think it's so cool that they offered veggie dogs. I wonder if any ball parks around here do. BTW, I checked out your daughter's veg Barbie blog and it's pretty funny. Ken weight lifting the cherries cracked me up!

KleoPatra said...

Veggie dogs! Hooray!! Seattle is sooooooo ahead of the rest of the USA. This is great. As you may (or may not) know, i am a sports writer/editor so i really really love this post!

The Padres here in San Diego serve garlic fries and the smell is unbelievable. i've only been to one game this year and two peeps in rows in front of where i sat had 'em and the whole place smelled like heaven. Of course i really love garlic, so maybe it wasn't heaven for everyone...

Dippin' Dots have scared me for years, by the way.

Way to go, Seattle! Way to go Safeco! And way to go Tofu Mom! This post made me smile from ear to ear (corn ears, of course)...

Julie said...

Yhat's SO great you can get stuff like that at your ballpark. The place that the AZ Diamondbacks play at is on Peta's list too--but I haven't seen a single veggie burger in sight!
ooh man, those garlic fries!

Sheree' said...

That is so cool! I am not sure if your baseball park is veggie friendly. It costs too much to even walk in the place. Sounds like the sprouts had fun.

Jody from VegChic said...

I'm pretty jealous. Besides plain old fries, I'm pretty lucky if I can find a fruit cup at ball park around here.

The garlic fries look so good!

Michelle said...

wow, those garlic fries sound SO good! no sporting arena around here even offers veggie dogs :(