Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Hemp Seed Pesto

I made this pesto Sunday night with basil from my very own herb pots, finally!

I'd run out of other nuts I usually use for pesto, but had some wonderful Rising Moon Organics Vegan ravioli just begging to be cooked, so I decided to try my hemp seeds in the pesto.

Best idea ever!

If you're looking for way to get those Omega-3's and aren't a huge flax fan, give hemp seeds a try! Yummy!

Hemp-Seed Pesto

1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup shelled hempseeds
2 Tbsp. dry breadcrumbs
2-3 cloves fresh garlic (I used more)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp soft Earth Balance or other vegan Margerine
2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon white miso

Blend in food processor until creamy smooth. Serve over hot pasta.

Keeps in the fridge at least two days - not sure how much longer since we ate it all...

9 comments:

bazu said...

What a great idea! I have a bag of hemp seeds in the fridge, and some basil ripening in the garden... mmmm.

Monika K said...

I've never used hemp seeds before - perhaps this pesto recipe is just the excuse I've been looking for...

aTxVegn said...

Hemp seed pesto sounds fabulous!

Unknown said...

I've never had hemps seeds before. The dish looks great!

Unknown said...

You have myspace! Your next friend request will be me.

Julie said...

What a cool idea!! I'll for sure be trying it soon, thanks :]

vko said...

Looks delicious & so good for you too! Yummy!

Sheree' said...

Your pesto looks so good. I think I have all the ingredients. I will ahve to give this one a try!

Good-Dees said...

excellent idea with the hemp seed - I'm out of pinenuts now too! Thank you for the recipe.