Monday, July 16, 2007

Marionberry Pie

Ahhhh... Marionberries are in season once again! By far my favorite berry, they are a wonderful local variety of blackberry; but bigger and sweeter than any blackberry I've ever seen.

(Yes, they're mostly grown in Oregon, but hey, we're not that far away!)
We picked some up at the Farmer's Market on the weekend and my youngest Sprout helped me make a pie.

(She wanted me to make sure everyone knew that she measured the sugar into the berries, helped roll the crust and sorta 'crimp' the edges - and she cut the slits in the top of the pie!)

I was otherwise occupied and didn't use a recipe, just sort of threw this together, so no "Marionberry Pie" recipe to post, any Blackberry Pie recipe will work, Google has a million...

But I am posting my fool-proof, quick and easy, flaky pie crust recipe, since it seems to be requested frequently.

Since everyone seems to have berries available right now, go make a PIE!!

For a 10 INCH - 2 crust pie:

2 2/3 c. flour
3/4 c. oil
4-5 tbsp. ice water
pinch salt

Mix flour and salt.
Stir oil and water together.
Add all at once to the flour.
Mix, divide dough in half and flatten into a disc.
Put on a square of wax paper. Top with another square.
Roll out between sheets of wax paper. (I know I'm making that part sound simpler than it may be for some people...)
Peel off top paper, and turn into pie pan.
Peel off remaining paper.
Repeat with top crust.
Fill pie and top with crust.
Pinch edges together, cut slits in top.
Bake for 45 min. at 350 degrees or until bubbly and browning.
Enjoy!

4 comments:

urban vegan said...

I never heard of Marionberries. You learn something new every day!

KleoPatra said...

Mmmmmmm... pie!! Marionberries... wonder if they're like the ollalieberries i got at Linn's farm??? The pie was obviously a huge hit. i'd like a piece with some So Delicious vanilla on top maybe?!? MMMMMMMMMMMM!

bazu said...

I don't think I've ever had a fresh marionberry- back when I lived in California, I used to get frozen mixed berries from Costco and they included marionberries. They're a little tart, right? I love that!

Kauaiart said...

I am looking for marionberry pie recipes.. . . I also blog! Nice photos and writing. Was there a pie recipe?