Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Summer Veggie Quiche

I love quiche. I have always loved it. Seriously, what could be better than vegetables, cheeses and savory custard in a crust? Well, obviously, a vegan quiche, of course.

After perfecting my version several years back, this vegetable quiche-type-thing has became a huge summer favorite - you can use virtually ANY vegetable and it's good hot, cold or at room temp. Great to make ahead for those days when I don't want to heat up the kitchen.
 I can't take total credit for this recipe, it's actually a vegan spin on the old favorite "Impossible Broccoli Pie" introduced to frazzled 1970's-era housewives by the Bisquick people. No crust needed, it makes it's own. Magic and impossible. Or something.

 Yes. I use Bisquick in this recipe. And yes, it's vegan. There ARE whole-grain-organic-seeds-and-twigs 'baking mixes' as well, if you prefer. I don't have access to Whole Foods and similar stores that carry them, and I admit to liking a shortcut now and then, so Bisquick tends to have a happy home in my cupboard. Use what you like, even pancake mix works!


Summer Vegetable Quiche

  •  2 cups chopped broccoli, spinach, kale, sliced zucchini, or whatever combination of green vegetables you'd like 
  • 1/3 cup chopped green onion 
  • Several mushrooms, sliced (optional, I just like lots of veggies in mine) 
  • 1/2 a red bell pepper, chopped (again, optional) 
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Daiya cheese (about 6 ounces) I use the Italian Blend, but use whatever you prefer 
  • 2 thinly sliced Roma tomatoes 
  • 1 cup Bisquick® or other complete baking (or pancake) mix 
  • 1 cup So Delicious UNSWEETENED Almond (or other) milk 
  • 1 12 oz. box silken tofu 
  • 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast 
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper 
  • 1/4 tsp. India black salt (optional, gives it an "eggy" flavor that I like in dishes like this) 
 Heat oven to 400ºF. Grease a deep-dish pie plate.
 Heat 1 inch salted water to boiling in medium saucepan. Add broccoli or whatever green vegetables you want; cover and cook about two minutes. Just to barely cook. Remove from heat and drain.
Gently stir together cooked green vegetables, onion, mushrooms, peppers and cheese in pie plate, just a little. Layer tomato slices over vegetables.
Blend remaining ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth.
Pour over vegetables into pie plate.
Bake 45 - 55 minutes or until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes or chill over night.

9 comments:

Tofu Hunter said...

Wow, this looks fantastic. Just to be sure I am understanding this correctly: the bisquick gets blended w the "remaining ingredients" and just poured over the veggies and magically makes a crust?? Sounds too good to be true!

katiejayne said...

Wow! That looks awesome! Daiya gives me a tummy ache, any idea if it would be tasty without vegan cheese? Or if it would be okay if I use just a little bit of Daiya?

Anonymous said...

wow that is just BEAUTIFUL!!!! i love all the colors!

chow vegan said...

I love quiche too. My cheater method is using a pre-made crust. I've never tried the Bisquick method, I've got to give that a go - it looks super yummy and magical. :-)

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Yes, the Bisquick is blended with the liquid ingredients to make a thick batter and poured over everything.
It doesn't make as much of a "crust" as the Bisquick marketers would have you believe, but it does hold together and works pretty nicely!
I think you could use another vegan cheese or even try it with none at all? Not sure about the flavor or consistency then, but I think it would still work?
Let me know, PLEASE!! I make this off the top of my head and sometimes can't remember *exactly* how much of something I added or not!
I should try it "cheese" free, as I know some people can't get it in their area or prefer not to use it.

Anonymous said...

This sounds so creative! I will definitely try this out. Thanks for posting.

beansidhe said...

I love this recipe! I've made it twice already. It's so versatile, filling, comforting, full of veggies and can be very healthy or a bit more decadent depending on what you add to it. Great way to use up bits and pieces of leftover veggies at the end of the week. I made my own bisquick-type mix and have it sitting on my shelf just to make this with!

I tweaked a few things on my second go-round and liked how it came out so I thought I'd share. It's all really personal preference, and being able to adjust so easily to suit your own tastes is one of the great things about recipes like this.
1.) I added two heaping tablespoonfuls of chickpea flour to the batter. It's great without this too, but I think this makes it both slightly firmer and a touch more eggy.
2.) I poured half the batter on the bottom, then added veggies, then poured the other half of the batter over the top. This way it's more sliceable instead of just a firmer part on top and veggies at the bottom.
3.) I used half the daiya inside and half on top. I just think this is pretty. Some of the tomato slices also peeked through ever so slightly on the top since my batter layer was thinner from being split, and I thought this was pretty too.

Thanks again for posting this! I'm definitely adding this to our regular rotation.

Miss Val said...

I just discovered your blog and am already a big fan! Thanks for sharing, really! I'm a mom who has just gone from vegetarian to vegan, enjoys experimenting in the kitchen, and I have two kids with special needs, one of them autistic and gluten free. I'm going to try this recipe with the gluten-free Bisquick (yes, they really make this), along with the tips that beansidhe commented with—isn't sharing great? Anyway I'm checking out your other recipes and enjoying discovering new ways to make recipes vegan. (Excellent chicken and dumplings, btw!)

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Saw your recipe on Pinterest. It looks amazing. I am now following you. Please stop by my blog.. I would love a follow back.. www.glutenfreematters.com