Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sauteed Cabbage and Field Roast 'Sausage'

Sorry for the REALLY bad picture, but this is the easiest, "super-quick", warm, cozy, winter supper ever!!
(Steaming-hot food makes for blurry pictures and I was hungry and in a hurry!) I promise it's AMAZING, though.
Add a side of home fries or a baked potatoes and I'm in heaven!


Now, I realize opinions about cooked cabbage may not be as enthusiastic as mine, but if you haven't had it in a while, try it again.

Just cook until tender-crisp, not soggy. And understand, I grew up eating my share of German/Polish/Russian-inspired family cooking, so anything with cabbage is gonna be a hit.

The fine folk over at Field Roast make my favorite "faux sausage" in the whole world, and it's available at most any "regular" grocery store, so it's an easy addition, though I suppose you could use whatever you like.

This hardly needs a recipe but here we go:

Sauteed Cabbage and "Sausage"

2 Apple-Sage style Field Roast sausages, sliced
1/2 a sweet onion, sliced
4 cups coarsely chopped or shredded cabbage
1 tart apple, shredded coarsely
(optional) 1 carrot, beet, turnip or parsnip, shredded
(optional) 1/2 cup sauerkraut, rinsed if desired

wee bit of olive oil
splash of cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Saute sausage slices with onion in olive oil, over med. heat, until they start to brown.
Add cabbage, apple and optional root veggies or sauerkraut, if using. Cook, stirring frequently, until cabbage and root veggies are done tender-crisp. Sprinkle with vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.

_____________
_____________

Note: My poor, second-hand, very out-dated computer is on it's last legs. If I suddenly stop blogging, well... that's why :(

4 comments:

Fanny said...

I sure hope your computer will live, I would miss your blogging!

I also love cooked cabbage, I can eat it plain with spices! yum!

Catherine Weber said...

I love cabbage and onions cooked in butter, seasoned with lots of paprika, served over noodles! Mmmmmmm!!!

White Haired Veg said...

I love cooked cabbage, and have since I was a kid. My mother would core and quarter a green cabbage, boil the quarters and serve them with butter. I don't remember my dad or brother ever partaking, but Mom and I would devour that thing in no time!

Jess of Midwest Vegan said...

I think I shall make this! Good idea! Thanks!