Friday, November 27, 2009

Vegan Pecan Pie


I plan on posting a full Thanksgiving run-down in a few days, PLEASE stay tuned.


I just wanted to post this <<-- Vegan Pecan Pie as several people have asked.
And, because it's a"vegan-ized" favorite of ours.

A request though:
When I make it, it always turns out fine, but a couple vegan friends have made it with mixed results - one was runny, one was crispy and over-cooked, though several people have made it with very good results as well.

But I'd like it to turn out for everyone. If anyone is willing to "test" this recipe (use whatever crust you like) I'd be thrilled with feedback - thanks!!!

Vegan Pecan Pie and Coconut Oil Pastry

3/4 cup beaten firm silken tofu
(I blend mine in a food processor to turn it very silky smooth)
2 tsp. arrowroot powder (or cornstarch, but I think arrowroot cooks up 'smoother')
1 cup dark corn syrup
(OR use maple syrup - and **maple extract instead of pecan/walnut below - for a maple-pecan pie!)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup melted vegan margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract**
(**If you can find it, sub 1/4 tsp. pecan, walnut or hazelnut flavoring extract for 1/2 tsp. of the vanilla. It's a WONDERFUL addition and enhances the flavor but isn't absolutely necessary, vanilla works fine too.)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup pecan halves (or more if you like it really "nutty")
9” pie crust (see recipe below)

Arrange pecan halves in a single layer in bottom of crust. (Or more, depending on how many nuts you like)

Beat tofu, arrowroot, corn syrup, margarine and vanilla (all ingredients except pecans) until well blended in your food processor or hand-held mixer/blender (Make sure the tofu is smooth and there are no lumps). Pour mixture over nuts.

Bake for 1 hour and 10 min. at 350F or until it looks like it's starting to solidify - it will (or should) set up completely as it cools.

Cool completely before serving.

Coconut-Oil Pie Crust:

(This makes SUCH a nice flaky pastry!)

3/4 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 T maple sugar or cane sugar
1/4 tsp salt (I add just the tiniest pinch more, the recipe seems to need it)
1/4 cup coconut oil (measure it in solidified form, in a dry measure)
2 TB. Earth Balance or other vegan margarine (NOT "light" margarine) chilled or frozen
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3-5 TB ice water

Toss dry ingredients together in a medium bowl. Toss the solidified coconut oil and margarine with the dry ingredients, coating the hardened pieces with flour, which makes the pieces easier to break up and work in.
Work into the flour with your fingers or (preferably) a pastry blender. The coconut oil and margarine should be distributed into different-size pebbles, all of them small. Break up any large clumps or pebbles into smaller pebbles; no pieces should be larger than a pea.

Add the vinegar to the ice water. Drizzle the water into the dough a spoonful at a time, mixing in each as you go. You have enough water in the dough when the dough holds together well when pinched. Do not add any more water than absolutely necessary.

Gather the dough into a ball and flatten it into a disk. Wrap disk in plastic;

The original recipe says to chill for an hour at this point. I have discovered it's too firm to roll out if completely chilled. Try chilling for just 10 - 15 minutes.

Roll out on floured board with floured rolling pin - or even easier, just press into pie pan evenly with your fingertips. Bake pie as directed.

16 comments:

Minnie said...

Hi,

This looks yummy.

Can you freeze this once it's made, do you know? I'm the only one here who likes pecan pie. Instead of making one big pie I was thinking of making smaller tartlets out of the recipe. It would be great if I could freeze them and eat at leisure:o)

Can you freeze tofu? I'm in the UK and it can be a bit pricey, especially silken tofu. There aren't that many places where it's available, so it tends to be a bit pricey... it would make sense to buy a few blocks and freeze them so as to not run out of the stuff:o)

Your Sweet Potato Gnocchi was lovely, by the way. Those definitely freeze:o) We made LOADS! lol

Karyn said...

Baking a test pecan pie? Its a dirty job, but somebody has to do it. LOL. I'll be testing this recipe this weekend.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Minnie - unfortunately (or fortunately depending) tofu changes consistency when frozen.

Silken tofu (the kind for this recipe, the kind in a shelf-stable, aseptic box, we get "Mori-Nu" brand here) turns into a mushy, grainy, crumbly mess if frozen.
HOWEVER, doesn't NEED to be frozen - it is shelf-stable and packed in a carton that keeps it preserved, and will last forever in your cupboard.

But: the regular, refrigerated, "water-packed" type is almost a different product - it doesn't last more than a week or two in the fridge, but it CAN be frozen and then thawed and pressed/drained for a slightly dense,"meaty" chewy type product.

I have no idea about freezing the whole pie - I honestly am not sure how that would work. Try with little bite-size tartlets and see? I think a whole pie might be worse off...

Karyn said...

Ok, I made the recipe this morning and it came out perfect. Not runny, or burned or "tofu-y" or anything negative. Its all gone now as everyone loved it. I used cornstarch since I didn't have any arrowroot, but I plan on buying some soon anyways and I'll try that, too. I baked it for exactly the 1 hour and 10 minutes. I am thrilled with this recipe! Thanks again for another winner and let me know any time ya need a tester.
I posted a picture or two of it on VB.

Dani said...

that looks great, I never thought of using coconut oil in the crust, for mine I just used vegetable oil. Looks great!

bridget said...

Yummy! Coconut oil pie crust is definitely a favorite of mine. I like to make it with spelt flour.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Karyn, thanks!! Appreciate the feedback, it's very helpful!! And YAY! SO VERY AWESOME that everyone liked it so much. :) :)

T said...

This looks SO AMAZING! Just what the doctor ordered for the holidays. You are such a creative and helpful vegan cook!

Jenny said...

Thanks for your recipe ideas. We had a couple of them for Thanksgiving, and I linked to you in my blog post today.

MeShell said...

I've made a few pie crusts with earth balance and other vegetable oil but never with added coconut oil.
Can't wait to try this recipe. :)

Robin said...

After having been mildly disappointed with another [vegan] pecan pie that relied on flax seed eggs (which usually work swell for me) to set up (which it didn't,) I gave this one a try for Thanksgiving. It was MARVELOUS. I spiced with ground cardamom, cinnamon, ginger and cloves because I couldn't resist and just used a basic earth balance/ flour crust and it was absolutely terrific and I admit, much better than I was expecting! I really honestly think it is superior to any vegan or omni pecan pie I have had in the past...I really prefer the texture the tofu gives it to the jelly-like flavorless texture of egg based ones I used to eat or the runnier version a flax-seed version makes. Oh, and get this, apparently you can't screw it up! I cooked it for only 40 minutes at first (with the temp starting at 350 but moved to 400 at some point) and then had to take it out of the oven because the turkey (the rest of my family is omni) took priority as they couldn't both fit. (Admittedly...my own fault. I said I'd be done with the oven by a certain time.) Probably an hour later, after it almost cooled, I was able to put it back in for 25ish more minutes and it turned out perfectly. Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Hi ! I just made the maple version of this pie. It's absolutely delicious and was super easy to make. The only difference was that it took approximately 90 minutes to bake in my gas oven. I have a thermometer in it so it was definitely 350 degrees the whole time. Perhaps it's because of the maple ? Anyway, as far as a maple-pecan pie goes, this is definitely a winner. Thanks !

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

I've had some people say that the maple syrup DOES take longer.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll add that to my notes - I think maple syrup is definitely thinner than corn syrup or brown rice syrup so that would account for the longer cooking time.

Sunday Table said...

Hi! Can this pie be frozen with silken tofu in it?

Sunday Table said...

Hi! After this pie has been baked, can it be frozen where it has silken tofu in it?

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

I don't know if it can be frozen afterwards? Tofu is a weird thing to freeze and it changes consistency, so I wouldn't recommend, however, if you do, PLEASE report back!!