Monday, November 30, 2009

Truly Being Thankful

My pictures may not show it that well, but Thanksgiving this year was a truly festive celebration for our family - not that it isn't most years, but as many of my blog readers remembered with me, (and to steal a phrase from my sister's FaceBook status...) what a difference a year makes!!


One year ago this week we were indeed together, but in a strange hospital, in another city, not at all sure what the next year would bring... I appreciate everyone's thoughts and prayers, and am so VERY thankful to God every day for supportive family and friends (yes, even those of you I've never met IRL) and most especially for knowledgable Doctors, effective treatments and my Dad's return to health.

That said, here are some pictures from this year's VERY Thankful and nearly all vegan feast, with recipe links as I have them.

I should also mention I am incredibly thankful that my whole family is vegetarian and very tolerant and understanding of my being vegan, so enjoying a Thanksgiving meal is not a problem. As you can see, even as greedy as I was, I couldn't get everything on my plate! That's what seconds... and thirds... are for, right?!!

Our dinner included tasty contributions from four of my sisters, myself, my daughter and of course my Mom. Too many cooks spoil the soup? Not a chance, but many hands definitely make light work. The table was packed with amazing things and leftovers lasted well into this week.

The menu:
  • Mashed Potatoes (no recipe, but we add Tofutti Sour 'Cream' and homemade sauerkraut)
  • Stuffed Mushrooms
  • Brown Gravy
  • Corn
  • Mashed Butternut Squash
  • Holiday Fruit and Nut Rice
  • My Mom's yummy "Turkey-Cutlet-Like" Gluten (Seitan) Steaks with Caramelized Onions (I'll post this recipe later. She gave it to me, I want to try making it first!!)
  • Herb and Garlic rolls (storebought)
  • Green Salad and my sister's Magically Addictive Tahini-Lemon dressing (I gave it that name. We're working on specific measurements and then I'll post...)
  • Raw Cranberry Ginger Orange relish (recipe follows)
And even though this was a vegetarian meal, YES!! WE DID HAVE A TURKEY!!!
My sister made a beautiful Turkey-shaped Birthday Cake for my even more beautiful daughter. She loved it!
And the cake got many "ooohs" and "aaahs" and jokes about light meat or dark.

Here's the amazing Ginger Cranberry Relish recipe (I can eat this stuff like soup!!). Hoping each of you had a wonderful holiday and were surrounded by people you love...

Raw Cranberry Ginger Orange Relish
1 (12-ounce) package fresh, raw cranberries, rinsed and drained
3 small Clementine or mandarin oranges, cut in fourths
1 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut in 3-4 pieces
1 cup raw turbinado granulated sugar

Place half the cranberries, half the orange slices, ginger and sugar in food processor container. Process until mixture is evenly chopped. Transfer to a bowl.
Repeat with remaining cranberries and orange slices. Stir well.
Store in refrigerator or freezer. Best if stored 1 - 2 days before serving.
Serve on holiday entrees, meatballs, loafs, etc...

Makes about 3 cups

8 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

You are SO lucky that your whole family is veggie! That must make big family dinners much more enjoyable. Everything looks delicious and I loved hearing about your happy family Thanksgiving.

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Cool turkey cake! Was your daughter's birthday on Thanksgiving? Mine was the 28th. It's always nice to have a feast during your birthweek ;)

kelli said...

wow, the cake and your daughter ARE really beautiful! and the food looks so yummy. glad you had a great day!

Bianca said...

Everything looks so amazing! I'm especially interested in your mom's seitan cutlets!

And how nice to have an entirely veg family...mine's very accepting, but I doubt they'll ever go veg.

Love that cake!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow--what a cute and impressive cake! That takes talent :-)

Courtney

T said...

Oh man, that's a thanksgiving indeed! Thanks for including the recipes, and I known that everyone who reads you blog is a thankful as I am for an amazing source for funny and cute stories and amazing vegan comfort food!

MeShell said...

Wow, the food looks super yummy. That is quite the spread!

Cynthia said...

Oh yes, the picture shows the bounty!