While the rest of the world defrosts turkeys and stuffs their giblets (or whatever you do with whatever they are...), the Fairly Odd Vegan family participates in their own time-honored Night-Before-Thanksgiving tradition...
- 6 cups Corn Chex-type cereal
- 6 cups Rice Chex-type cereal
- 6 cups Wheat Chex-type cereal
- - - (or same amount of whatever type cereal you want, though "flakes" don't work so well here, trust me)
- 2 cup nuts (I use pecans and almonds and add these after it's toasted, so I can use raw nuts. Sometimes, we add Wasabi peas too! Yum!)
- 2 cups bite-size or broken pretzels
- 2 cups garlic-flavor bagel chips, broken into 1-inch pieces (or pita chips, which are easier to find vegan - or skip these altogether, they're a "new" addition to the recipe)
- 1 - 2 cups dried fruit of your choice: (raisins, dried cranberries, chopped dried apricots, chopped, dried apples, etc.)
- 10 tablespoons margarine (yes, I know, but you're making an entire VAT of the stuff, so relax! You can also use olive oil and go for an "Italian" type mix with some garlic and herbs or part sesame oil for an Asian touch...)
- 4 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce or 3 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt or less, to taste
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 teaspoon onion powder OR other seasonings as you prefer
The original recipe includes Corn Chex, Rice Chex and Wheat Chex. You can mix and match and add whatever cereal, to suit your taste—just use a total of 18 cups of cereal.
Heat oven to 250°F.