Monday, December 29, 2008

More Christmas... (and Stuffed Mushrooms!)

Christmas Dinner with my family:
(I always love my Mom's dinner table all set with the Holiday china...)



Famous Stuffed Mushrooms:

The stuffed mushrooms are not really famous, but very impressive - and so embarrassingly easy I hate to tell people...
  • Buy a package of stuffing mix - whatever brand you can find that is vegetarian/vegan (some have chicken broth, but amazingly, many don't).
  • Or make whatever type stuffing/dressing you like, using vegetable broth, of course... (A boxed-mix is just super easy and just the right size)
  • Make stuffing/dressing according to directions on package and set aside to cool..
  • Buy 20 largish (golf-ball size?) mushrooms.
  • Pop the stems out of the mushrooms.
  • Chop the stems fine.
  • Chop 1/2 an onion and 1 stick celery just as fine.
  • Saute in olive oil until soft.
  • Add 2 cloves crushed garlic (I put it thru a garlic press - this totally makes the dish, using fresh garlic, but it's up to you) no need to cook it, it'll cook when they bake.
  • Mix vegetables with the already made stuffing and 1/4 cup nutritional yeast.
  • Stuff into mushroom caps. (If too dry, add a little vegetable broth)
  • Pack down firm and mound up in each mushroom. It will shrink.
  • Put in baking dish, drizzle a little olive oil around.
  • Bake for 25 - 30 min at 375 until mushrooms look softer and cooked.
  • They will shrink and dry a little.
Thats it. Yum! Basically it's your fave stuffing or equivalent, and chopped mushroom stems and stuff. Though they don't look impressive here - sorta all jumbled together on this plate. Use your imagination.

My sister finished some last-minute gifts...

My Holiday "must-have": Fruit and Nut Holiday Rice <<-- Click for the recipe, it's an oldie that I posted several years ago...

My brother-in-law shovelling snow off my parent's deck. Took him all morning, there was a LOT of snow up there!!
And last, but, not least, the "Smoking German Figurines" that fascinate us every Christmas... (They have incense cones inside to provide the smoke and I just think they are DARLING!!)

Hope your Christmas was filled with family and friends!!

4 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

What a wonderful Christmas celebration you had!! Hope your New Year's celebration was fabulous too :-)

Unknown said...

Your mushrooms are mouth watering. I also made some stuffed mushrooms for Christmas. They were ok.

I have always wanted to have holiday dishes, but dh insists that we don't need them. LOL. One year when I have the storage I will get them.

Happy New Year.

Tami said...

We had smokers when I was little! We were just talking about them over Christmas. It's wonderful to see them!

Those shrooms look delicious, by the way!

Alisa Fleming said...

What a beautiful table! And those mushrooms look and sound awesome! Definitely going on my list to make ... who needs a special occasion for stuffed mushrooms?