Thursday, October 01, 2009

VEGAN MONTH OF FOOD CRAZINESS

October is VEGAN MONTH OF FOOD BLOGGING!

(Known to my fellow vegan-foodie-Bloggers as "VeganMoFo") you can read all about it HERE, or just let me Google it for you... but it's basically a fun, but frantic month in which we all try and flood the blog world with as many vegan recipes as we possibly can.

I can't commit to a post every day, that's crazy talk. (OK, for those of you that are posting every day, more power to you!) Seriously, no one is going to read that many recipes. Second, I DON'T HAVE TIME TO BLOG THAT MUCH.

That said, I will attempt to step it up just a wee bit so that the Vegan Blogging World is not, somehow incomplete due to my lack of recipes. Ha. Hardly.

Since Paula Deen is my hero (yes, seriously, I just ignore the bacon and all) I thought I'd post some of my "veganized" Paula recipes the next few weeks. They're SO tasty and always popular with everyone who tries them, vegan or not!!

Here's one of our favorites, even if it's slightly past garden-fresh-corn season, it's still worth posting... . Her original version is here: Watermelon and Grilled-Corn Salad. Sounds bizarre, but I promise you'll love it. And amazingly enough, it was a vegan recipe to begin with (but I STILL "messed" with it because that's what I do...).

Here then is MY version for y'all to try out - (imagine me talking with Paula's lovely, gentle Southern accent...):

Watermelon and Grilled Corn Salad

4 cups seedless watermelon, cut in cubes
3 ears sweet corn, grilled and kernels cut off the cob
2 small Kirby cucumbers, seeds removed and sliced (Costco has these, cheap right now!!)
2 Tbsp fresh squeezed Lime juice
2 Tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
2 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

In medium mixing bowl, toss ingredients gently. Serve chilled.

Yes, that's it!

Very different but SO good!!

6 comments:

Chelsea said...

That's a beautiful salad, despite the disgusting watermelon intruding on all that yumminess! haha

Rose said...

Watermelon and corn...what an amzing combination!

Rose

The Voracious Vegan said...

Haha, I love Paula Dean too and I also try my best to ignore all of her bacon and 16 cups of butter that every recipe seems to call for. I have the ingredients for this beautiful salad, I think I will give it a try for sure!

Vegan Epicurean said...

Your salad sounds great. I would never have expected to get inspiration from Paula Deen. That is one person that must have her cardiologist on speed dial. ;)

I really wish had I some fresh corn now. Thanks for the idea.

Alicia

Anonymous said...

Yay--I will look forward to your posts :-)

Courtney

Karla said...

wow, i didn't realize that Paula Dean could make something without oil, butter or meat!

just so you know, you don't have to blog recipes each MoFo post, you can blog about anything vegan related!