Friday, October 02, 2009

Smoky Roasted Baby Potatoes and Fennel

Here's another of one of my children's frequently-requested favorites.

AND another "Tofu-Mom" version of a Paula Deen recipe (which you can find HERE, just to give her credit for the original).
AND, best of all? (maybe) another entry in this month's frantic Month Of Vegan Blogging!

First, just an ingredient note: You'll notice I've used Bacon Salt in this recipe, (and in lots of Paula "makeovers) instead of her famous and ubiquitous bacon-bacon-bacon. I loved one of yesterday's comments, "she must have her cardiologist on speed dial"!!
Anyway, I've never had "real" bacon, but I love smoky flavors even in vegetarian cooking, and if you're a fan,
(or just miss bacon) this Bacon-Salt stuff is really crazy good!!
It's a smoked seasoning product that, not to fear, is
entirely vegetarian, (and the "Peppered" version is vegan).
You can find it online and in most supermarkets, and it adds a really great smoky flavor to lots of foods (and despite the "salt" in the name, is low in sodium! (I swear I don't work for the company!!) If you can't find it, smoked salt or liquid smoke works equally well here, though use less. But get used to it, 'cause y'all are gonna see it a lot in future recipes!

OK, so back to the recipe; my folks just harvested their potatoes last weekend and gave me a big ol' bunch of wonderful little baby 'taters!! This was the first dish that came to mind, and the perfect thing for a cool fall evening.

Smoky Roasted Baby Potatoes and Fennel

3 pounds baby reds or fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise or left whole if really small
2 fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 tsp. Bacon Salt (or appropriate amount smoke flavoring of your choice)
2 tsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Line a rimmed baking sheet with heavy-duty aluminum foil.

In a large bowl, combine potatoes, fennel, and onion. Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice over vegetables and sprinkle with Bacon Salt, salt and pepper to taste, tossing gently to coat.

Spoon mixture in an even layer onto prepared baking sheet. Roast for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally or until potatoes are browned and tender.

Simple and sooooooo good! (Have I said that before? Probably.)

7 comments:

Rose said...

Sounds yummy, i like any type of roast veggies :)

Rose

The Voracious Vegan said...

WOW! I'm definitely going to make this, it looks so good. Anything bacon/smoked/roasted is a favorite with me.

Catherine Weber said...

I LOVE roasted potatoes and I LOVE roasted fennel! I have a seasoning blend that I use on potatoes and greens and other good stuff that has smoked salt in it . . . heavenly! Mmmmmmm.

Debra said...

THis sounds so good. Thanks for sharing!

Jenn Shagrin said...

Hey Tofu Mom!

Thanks! And no, your eyes don't deceive you. I had to delete the recipe for my cookbook. But it'll be out next fall, so you'll definitely be able to make them in the future :)

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

I just saw bacon salt for the first time last week, so of course I bought it! Then I got home and had no idea what I was going to do with it!!

Thanks for the idea!!!

veganf said...

Never heard of bacon salt before...I'll have to look for it!