Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Tempeh Fried-Rice

NOTE:
I TOTALLY ADMIT THIS IS A RE-POST FROM SEVERAL YEARS AGO. But it's one of the recipes people ask me for the most, so it must be hidden away down in the depths of my blog where it's hard to find... I am just not talented enough to make an alphabetical listing of my recipes, even though I would LOVE to have that eventually:


Simple and incredibly good. This is a great way to introduce yourself (or others) to tempeh. You must make this fried rice!

Tempeh Fried Rice

4 - 5 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 package tempeh, any type
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 tsp liquid smoke flavoring
1/4 cup white wine, water or apple juice
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
2 tsp. peanut oil
1/2 cup coarsely shredded carrots
1 cup frozen peas (or peas and carrots)
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 cup pineapple tidbits, VERY well drained (optional)
1 - 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. toasted almonds or sesame seeds
.
Slice the tempeh thin and then cut into squares or strips. Mix maple syrup, wine (or water), liquid smoke and cider vinegar together in non-stick or lightly oiled skillet.
.
Put tempeh into liquid and simmer, uncovered, turning gently from time to time, until liquid evaporates to a thick, sticky sauce - 10 - min. or so, depending on climates/temperatures/pans, etc...
.
Heat peanut and sesame oil in large skillet or wok. Put rice in wok and stir to heat and seperate grains, and coat lightly with flavored oils.
Add carrots, or if using frozen, rinse frozen peas and carrots under hot water until thawed and add to hot rice.
.
Add onions, pineapple (optional), brown sugar and continue to stir and heat, scraping pan gently until rice starts to "stick" a bit and get browned bits, add tempeh (and some of the reduced sauce - just not so much that it makes the rice "juicy") and heat until everything is hot...
.
Season to taste with soy sauce, sprinkle with toasted almonds or sesame seeds and serve.

8 comments:

Sophia said...

Mmmmm that looks sooooo good, your recipes always look amazing!
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

Debra said...

It looks so good- my kids would love it!
Debra @ Vegan Family Style

The Voracious Vegan said...

Looks AMAZING! I really love dishes like this. I'll have to think of something to replace the tempeh because we can't get it here, but as soon as I do, I will be making this for sure.

Cynthia said...

Well thank you for the introduction my friend!

k's mumbo jumbo said...

That looks so very yummy! I think that the kids would even eat it. Well, the girls, anyway.

Jen said...

i don't mind re-posts at all. btw, made your daughter's cho chip cookies using chickpea flour and had pretty good results--they were for a gluten free friend. i'm so pleased with that recipe, i think i'll use that one as my go-to instead of another one i usually use. kudos to your sprout!

mamavegana said...

Knew I could trust you to serve me with a recipe for the tempeh I had just been shipped :) Great timing for a re-post ;)

http://itstartedwithafish.wordpress.com/

Gary said...

I fed this to five hungry adults tonight - they loved it, as did I. I used almonds, sesame seeds, and crushed cashews for toppings. Delicious!