Friday, October 23, 2009

Fried Cabbage and Field-Roast Sausage

Oh man, this is the best "super-quick" supper ever!! (Steaming-hot food makes for blurry pictures, sorry!)


Now, I realize opinons about cooked cabbage may not be as enthusiastic as mine, but if you haven't had it in a while, try it again.

Just cook until tender-crisp, not soggy. And understand, I grew up eating my share of German/Polish/Russian-inspired family cooking, so anything with cabbage is gonna be a hit.

Sauteed with some Field Roast sausage (my favorite "faux sausage" in the world, but I suppose you may use whatever you like) and really, how can you go wrong?

This hardly needs a recipe but:

4 cups coarsely chopped or shredded cabbage
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tart apple, shredded coarsely
2 Apple-Sage style Field Roast sausages, sliced
wee bit of olive oil
splash of cider vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Sautee sausage slices with onion over med. heat until they start to brown. Add cabbage and apple. Cook, stirring frequently, until cabbage is done. Sprinkle with vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.

6 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

You always make meals that are just a perfect fit for my tastebuds! This is EXACTLY something I would love to eat, it looks delicious.

Matt (Our Veggie Kitchen) said...

Cabbage and Field Roast makes me happy.

Catherine Weber said...

Cooked cabbage is tasty! One of the best, most humble dinners ever is cabbage and onions sauteed until creamy, seasoned with salt, pepper, and paprika, and served with noodles. Yum! I'm thinking adding sausage to my version would be fantastic!!! Thanks for the idea!

Debra said...

That looks so good! yummy..
Debra @ Vegan Family Style
don't forget the cookbook giveaway on my blog

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

yum! i need to make cabbage soon. i haven't had it in ages, and i've never had it fried!

Erin said...

I LOVE cabbage and have been known to saute it by itself as a side dish. I bet it's amazing with seitan sausages.