Saturday, October 03, 2009

Mashed Potatoes, Parsnips, Turnips and Kale


Mmmm, today is definitely a "comfort food" sorta day. Cool, misty Pacific Northwest Autumn weather and a lazy weekend with no big tasks looming...


Here's my warm and cozy lunch, another "veganized" Paula Deen recipe.

Yes, this is ALL I had for lunch. Call the carb police, I really don't care, I have enough leftovers for them too!. Not something I make that often, (who can make Paula's recipe's THAT often, really!?!) and usually I do NOT like parsnips, but I have an abundance of them to use right now and cooked this way, how can you not LOVE LOVE this combo of veggies!

Smashed Potato, Parsnip and Turnips with a little Kale

8 cups quartered yellow potatoes (I don't peel them, you can if you want)
4 cups chopped and peeled parsnip
1 turnip, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoons salt
1/2 cup chopped kale (you could use more but that's all I had)
1 (8-ounce) package Tofutti cream cheese, softened
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance
Freshly ground black pepper

In a large pot, combine potatoes, parsnips, turnip, onion, kale and salt; add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 18 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain well. Add Tofutti cream cheese, Earth Balance and a dash of pepper. Mash together, taste and add more salt if you think it needs it, and serve hot.

These keep in the oven (or a crock pot) nicely while other parts of your meal are being assembled and you can snip some fresh chives or parsley on top right before serving if you want it all fancy.

Yum.

6 comments:

Debra said...

oh yummy. the perfect comfort food.

Chelsea said...

Yum! After roasting a bunch of parsnips and turnips and other veggies for the family Thanksgiving celebration last year, I vowed to eat them more often. That was the last time I ate either... thanks for the inspiration!

Dani said...

Oh I can't wait to make this! Yum!!

The Voracious Vegan said...

I love simple dinners like this, you are right they are so comforting. I think this looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

I am loving this more frequent posting--keep 'em coming!

Yum! This looks soooooooo good, and it just so happens I picked up a big huge bunch of kale at the farmers market--now I know what to do with it!

Thanks
Courtney

Karla said...

this sounds so good! i think i might make this for Thanksgiving. but i'll definitely have to try it out before then!