- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (you can use part whole wheat)
- 2 Tbsps. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 8oz. can creamed corn
- 1/4 cup WELL DRAINED chopped, roasted green chiles (settle for canned only as a last resort, if you have no access to the fresh or frozen authentic New Mexican green chiles...)
- 3/4 cup plant milk mixed with 2 Tbsp cider vinegar or lemon-juice (vegan "buttermilk")
- My "egg replacer" (1 Tbsp EnRGee Egg Replacer powder + 1 Tbsp ground flax seed, blended with 1/4 cup plant milk)
Pour 1 Tbsp coconut oil into a 9" pan (or cast iron skillet) and bake for 5 minutes, until the pan is very hot.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Make a well in the center of this mixture, and pour the creamed corn, green chiles, milk, remaining coconut oil and egg replacer into the well.
Stir until smooth.
Pour the batter into the hot pan.
Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 to 35 minutes.
Remove the cornbread from the oven, and allow it stand for 15 minutes before serving.