Sunday, May 27, 2007

Layered Bean Dip, and Confetti Corn Bread

Just a few ideas from today's lunch potluck with friends...

My version of "7-Layer Dip" always changes a bit according to what I have on hand, but today it turned out SO YUMMY!

Layered Mexican Bean Dip
In a 9 X 11 baking pan I layered:

  • Tofutti Sour "cream"
  • salsa
  • drained canned corn
  • refried beans
  • Tofutti Sour "cream
  • guacamole
  • alfalfa sprouts
  • vegan (FYH) cheese shreds
  • chopped bell pepper and sliced olives
Chill over night and serve.

It was a huge hit, but I sorta thought the alfalfa sprouts made it a bit weird and "stringy"... must have been just me, 'cause the pan was almost licked clean!! Use whatever you have on hand though - that's the beauty of this dish!

Next up, cornbread.
My aunt, who lives in Iowa, and is NOT vegan in any way, shape or form, sent me a winning cornbread recipe from their state fair a couple years back. She was so excited (and I think amazed) that it was a vegan recipe... so of course I had to try it.

It was awesome, (those Iowa people sure do know their cornbread!) but being me, I had to tweak and play and change things around...

Here's my (renamed) version.

Confetti Cornbread
  • 2 Tbsp. ground flax seed
  • 6 Tbsp. water
  • 1 Cup white flour
  • 1 Cup fine ground cornmeal
  • 1/4 Cup white sugar
  • 4 tsp. baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp. table salt
  • 1/2 cup soy milk
  • 1/2 cup vegan sour "cream" or soy yogurt
  • 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 Cup canola oil
  • 2 Tbsp. finely chopped green pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. finely chopped red pepper
  • 1 minced jalapeno
  • 1/4 cup canned, drained corn kernels
  • 1/4 cup shredded cheddar-style vegan cheese

Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 425 degrees.
Grease 8 X 8 glass baking dish lightly.
Bring the water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the ground flax seed, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer the ground flax seed in the water for 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt until well-combined.
Add the ground flax seed mixture, soy milk, sour "cream, vinegar and canola oil to the flour mixture. Beat just until smooth (do not overbeat.).

Add peppers, corn and shredded cheese, stir well just to incorporate.
Turn into prepared baking pan.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Cool on wire rack 10 minutes; invert cornbread onto wire rack, then turn right side up and continue to cool until warm, about 10 minutes longer. Cut into pieces and serve. (My kids like salsa on the side, so that's what we use - traditionally I think people prefer honey or butter?).

4 comments:

Melinda said...

That cornbread! I'm dying!

Anonymous said...

we here in P.R. like our cornbread sweet, so i never try the american style, yours looks so good that make me want to try it!
the dip looks awesome too!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

johanna, this recipe actually has some sugar in it and is sweeter than most American style cornbread.

It's also very moist and dense, not dry and crumbly (which seems to be the norm for cornbread around here too).

I like my cornbread on the sweet side too!

The dip is just plain ol' bottled store-bought salsa.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a huge coincidence. I just found this cornbread recipe online (not your blog though) last night and made it for dinner with some chili. I followed the directions exactly and it was wonderful. Quite possible the best cornbread I've ever made. I am excited to try your version.