Thursday, October 02, 2008

VeganMoFo I Hate Thee!

OK, I really don't, but the title caught your attention, right?

For the uninformed, "VeganMoFo" is a month-long attempt by vegan bloggers everywhere to post something about vegan food, every day. That's a LOT of blogging. And a lot of food. REALLY good vegan food.

VEGAN-MOnth-of-FOod... get it?
You can read about it on the PPK forums, here.

Now, I am perfectly OK with VeganMoFo, in fact I embrace it wholeheartedly. But it doesn't like me, or my blog for some reason...

To start with, last year the cute little "VeganMoFo" banner caused some huge script-java-something-something error on my blog and it crashed. I removed the banner and all was fine. Add it, in a different version... and my blog refused to function properly for yet more reasons. So after several more attempts to unify myself with other "VeganMoFo" bloggers, I skipped the whole banner idea all together.

This year, October 1st dawns bright and clear and I again attempt the to add this little bit of brown font to my blog. No dice. I get gimongous "ERROR" messages whenever I try to log in. The nice people at Blogger help me. I remove the bad VeganMoFo. And several posts disappear into thin cyberspace air, never to be found again...

SOooooooo... that said. I really AM attempting to participate in the whole "post as much as you can all month" concept, I am just not going to do so with a cute little banner.

With that said, I'm finally posting my vegan seitan sausages, the same recipe that everyone else made and posted ten years ago. I've been using this recipe from "Every Day Dish" but there are a zillion variations out there.
.
They turn out really nice, though I admit I just can't leave a recipe exactly "as is".
.
I usually punch up the spices and garlic a WHOLE LOT and use 1/4 cup tapioca flour for 1/4 cup of the vital wheat gluten flour because I like the more tender texture.
.
We've been enjoying these grilled, fried with onions and potatoes, sliced in ratatouille, and topping pizza. LOVELY and actually much quicker to make than you'd think. Do try them if you're the one person on the planet who hasn't.
And yes, for you whiners, I'll be back with more original "Straight-From-Tofu-Mom's-Kitchen" recipes in a day or so.

13 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Hooray for MoFo!!!

Anonymous said...

Tapioca flour, huh? I have some--I should try it! You just replaced 1/4 C of the gluten with the tapioca flour? And kept the garbanzo bean flour the same?

Thanks for the tip!
Courtney

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

Oooooooh.... lovely sausages!!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Courtney, yep, I just replace 1/4 c. tapioca for some of the gluten flour. Sometimes I don't, sometimes I replace the garbanzo flour instead... it all depends on what I have in my cupboard - it's all good.

JENNA said...

So weird that the banner won't work for you. Keep on posting though!

Anonymous said...

You gotta put in lots of garlic - I am with you on that!

Tami said...

That sausage recipe is the best! You can do anything with it. The fact it's so fast to make helps a lot, too.

miss v said...

those look sooo good.

Carrie said...

Sorry to hear about your mofo problems. :(

I adore that sausage recipe..I'm like you, always fiddling with the spices though.

Jen said...

for what it's worth, i can't get the banner to work either, i just post...happily post and have faith that someone will read.

those sausages look great!

Bianca said...

I just love those little sausages. I'll have to try the tapioca flour next time though. I bet that would improve the texture even more.

Sheree' said...

Bummer the banner does not like you. I copied the banner from Amanda, saved as a picture and it works fine. I just add the picture on each blog. maybe that will help.

We just made these sausages with our modifications and turned them into sausage and kraut pita pockets. Yum!

Unknown said...

I'm making my grocery list right now, and this week I'm am planning to make your sausage and Olivia's chocolate chip cookies.