Monday, September 29, 2008

Weekend at The Beach

My middle 'Sprout' and I just spent the most wonderful weekend at Ocean Shores on the Washington Coast. The weather was surprisingly summer-like, the beaches were beautiful and free from the tourist crowd, and we needed a little R & R. The original purpose was a Women's and Teen's church sorta retreat, which we enjoyed thoroughly.

But the bonus for the weekend? During breaks and free time from the retreat seminars, we ended up spending a lot of time together walking the beach, chasing waves, enjoying the unexpected warm weather and sunshine, talking and and laughing and just having a whole lot more fun than I thought Moms were supposed to have with their teen-age daughters. I won't be forgetting this weekend for a very long time!


Well, except that I sometimes forget how teenagers entertain themselves with technology...
This is in the hotel room, one of those "suprise-attack" cell-phone pictures that my kids are famous for. Who needs a camera on a cell phone anyway? I mean, what is THAT! And why do you need to take pictures of your Mom!?!

And here are my toes in the sand - for those non-believers who know how much I usually try to avoid sand stuck to my feet. This was one of those times it did NOT matter!!


And last, but not least, since this is sometimes a food blog too, I will mention that we came fully equipped with a nice batch of my daughter's famous chocolate-chip cookies. You can't have a girl's weekend without chocolate, right?
She made them bite-size so we'd fool ourselves into thinking we weren't eating a huge amount. WRONG!
Yes, I've bragged these up before, but they are SERIOUSLY the best recipe (vegan or not!) that I've tried. And I think I've tried almost all of them, trendy Vegan cookbooks included!

Definitely a memorable treat. The whole weekend, not just the cookies!

7 comments:

Tracy said...

This is is one of those times when a picture says a thousand words. You can just tell how much fun and how much you bonded that weekend looking at these pictures. Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

What a great time you must have had - I am so happy for you! My Mom and I are best friends and we were close even when I was a teenager so it is possible to have a great mother and daughter relationship!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Faaaabulous weekend; and hooray for cookies! :0)

Calimaryn said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend! Kids and their technology these days! I finally caved and got my kiddo texting but should she snap a shot of my face with the thing that may be revoked! Looks like you had a lovely weekend and the cookies look delish.

donesmoking said...

cute cookies!

Matt (Our Veggie Kitchen) said...

I'm with you on the toes thing. I love the beach, but it's an comical ordeal going from wet feet to clean, dried and properly shoed feet.

Glad to hear about your weekend. Teen kids can be so much fun.

Jen said...

sounds like the elements of the perfect weekend were there: beach, loved ones, and....COOKIES!