Thursday, October 30, 2008

Sage and Pumpkin-Seed Pesto (again).


If you're thinking this recipe sounds familiar, it just might be. I came up with it exactly a year ago for some Pumpkin-themed cooking contest which I hate to admit, I don't even remember the outcome of!
Must not have been that big a deal. The contest anyway. The pesto sauce, however, has been a huge hit in our household ever since.
I was reminded of it when looking in my freezer at all the fresh basil pesto I'd frozen over the summer. I was craving pesto, but didn't really want to break into my freezer "stash" yet...

Since the sage in my herb garden grows pretty much year-round, (AND I had pumpkin seeds in the freezer) I was able to make this fresh tonight. YUM!
Pumpkin seeds are awesomely good for you, by the way; a quarter cup of raw seeds has 46.1% of the daily value for magnesium, 28.7% of the DV for iron, 52.0% of the DV for manganese, 24.0% of the DV for copper, 16.9% of the DV for protein, and 17.1% of the DV for zinc.

The only things I did differently (you knew I would) were: I served it over pasta (obviously) instead of polenta, I did not blend it so smooth, and I mixed in some cracked black pepper and a couple tablespoons of Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese to make it a creamier and lighter sauce...
PERFECT for fall. Enjoy.

6 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

SENSATIONAL pesto!!!

Bianca said...

Oh man, this sounds great! I've never had sage pesto but noticed a recipe for it in Skinny Bitch...seems like a good fall alternative to basil pesto.

Rose said...

I can totally make this once I get myself some sage!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Award Winning Sage and Pumpkin-Seed Pesto! I'll take a plate or two please! :)

Amy said...

Oh YUM!! I've bookmarked this one to be eaten soon!!

Anonymous said...

Pumpkin seeds rock my world and so does this recipe - super yum.