Thursday, September 25, 2008

"Magic Shell" Chocolate Ice Cream Topping


Well, evidently I'm a bit full of myself, because it's not very often I look at another recipe and think "I want to try this exactly as it's written".

Usually I want to mess with it until it no longer resembles what the original writer intended. Sometimes this is good, other times not.

But the amazing-looking "Magic Shell" Ice Cream topping over at Vegan Dad's blog totally sucked me in. Did you ever try the stuff as a kid? That ice-cream-topping in a bottle that hardened into solid chocolate candy on your ice cream? Loved it, loved it. And I HAD to try it. Exactly as written.

(As an aside here, several of you blogger-people have randomly asked me if I am related to or even married to "Vegan Dad" or some such weirdness...

No, no, no. For one thing his name is VEGAN DAD and my name is TOFU MOM. See? The names aren't even close. :)

Oh, and he lives in Ontario, I think? I live in Washington. I am quite sure he's happily married to Vegan Mom - who is (I'll remind you all again) not the same as Tofu Mom... So yeah, just setting that rumor straight, ya know how things can run rampant on the Internets...)

OK, that said, I set out to make this amazing chocolate-mocha-topping-stuff. And it really is AWESOME. But... as you can see from the pictures, somehow my version (and I am sure the fault is mine) didn't turn out all beautiful, hard and candy-like.

We did end up with incredibly wonderful hot-mocha-fudge-puddle sundaes though. Which was perfectly OK, because it was still DEEEELicious and decadent. You have to try it, it's chocolate-coffee heaven.

Definitely check out Vegan Dad's blog, I learn something every time I'm there. Evidently just not how to make Magic Shell Ice Cream topping. I'll keep trying though, not to fear. This is worth a few hundred "test" batches...

11 comments:

Amy said...

Awww well so long as it tasted good! I wanted to try it but I wasn't sure what to use instead of soy creamer (that's one ingredient that always stumps me aside from tofu when being soy free, sigh)

Nicole said...

Oh man, that picture on top looks too good. I'm going to make a run for my freezer.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Ooooh, luscious dessert!!

Catherine Weber said...

Ha -- that's funny about the vegan dad/tofu mom "connection." :)

I wonder if you let the sauce cool to room temperature before you put it on the ice cream, if that would help the hardening factor???

Matt (Our Veggie Kitchen) said...

A little coffee is a great idea. Think I'll make some chocolate covered banananas this weekend . . . and jello too(thanks for the vegan tip).

Al said...

I made that too! Mine hardened just fine, but yeah, any photo I took would have paled in comparison to Vegan Dad's.

Carrie said...

Even if it didn't harden, it still looks so good!

JENNA said...

i need to make that recipe!

tofufreak said...

yum! i somehow managed to miss this recipe :( hmmmm.... thanks for the inspiration!!!!

Cynthia said...

Sorry I can't comment on the ice cream topping as I am still laughing at the so-called online scandal of Tofu Mom and Vegan Dad (lol)

Bianca said...

Even it didn't harden, it still looks amazing! I love melty chocolate syrup on my sundaes.

And good thing you cleared that up about your relationship with Vegan Dad. Not that I wondered, but I'd hate to see you and Vegan Mom have to get into a cat fight over V-Dad.