Monday, August 04, 2008

Purslane and Garbanzo Salad

If you read my blog much, well - I'm amazed that you keep coming back.
No, I'm glad you're here. So have you noticed my frequent references to purslane?

I promise I'm not quite a weed-growing hippie farmer, but I've been fascinated with purslane for several years and finally this summer I'm growing my own. Safely in a large pot so it doesn't escape and take over my back yard which I guess it CAN do, though I've never seen it around here. (That's the only weeds I grow, promise!)

Here is the best use of my little purslane leaves so far!! I don't usually rave about nutrition, I'm all about "Does it TASTE good?"... but this salad tastes good AND it's loaded!

Wonderfully refreshing, packed with protein, good fats in the avocado, iron and calcium in the arugula, and as I've reminded everyone repeatedly, LOADS of Omega 3's from our lovely purslane!

Due to the evil Blogger-demons refusing to upload my pictures at the moment, I'll just leave you lovelies with this recipe and strictest instructions to rush out and raid your neighbors purslane-patch and make this salad tonight! You don't need no picture!


Purslane Salad with Garbanzos
(Chick-Peas) and Arugula


1 cup drained cooked or canned garbanzos/chickpeas
1 - 2 teaspoons capers (Please use these. Don't say you don't like them.)
1 avocado, cubed
3 cloves garlic or to taste, pressed or minced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
Salt
3 cups baby arugula leaves
1 cup purslane leaves

1. In a bowl, combine garbanzos, capers, garlic and scallion. Add olive oil, lemon juice, and salt to taste. Gently toss in avocado cubes.
2. Mix arugula and purslane leaves. Top with garbanzo mixture. Oh, and if you're not vegan? Some crumbled feta cheese (*gasp*!!) would be awesome here I imagine!!

8 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I love your blog, so of COURSE I'll keep coming back to read! :0)

Bianca said...

I've never even heard of purslane. But I love just about any green...except New Zealand spinach because I threw it up the other day.

Binx said...

Haha, when I read that you'd be growing your own, I was scared for you.. until in the next sentence you said you'd be growing it in its own pot. I've never seen any purslane, either, only heard ti takes over.

BTW, I made your eggless salad and posted about it.. it was amazing, my omni boyfriend loved it too!

Anonymous said...

I love the new look of your blog! It looks great!

I have had purslane a few times and while I didn't love it, I didn't hate it either...maybe your salad will make a purslane lover out of me yet :o)

Courtney

Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds exactly like the type of food I'd want to fill my fridge with for the summer. I'm definately going to go haunt the Whole Foods and Big Carrot and Farmers Markets and all that just to see if I can find some of your aforementioned purslane.

What can I use to sub for purslane incase if I fail on my quest to acquire some?

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Hmmm.... Can't think of anything that'd be similar to purslane... the closest would be baby spinach leaves I guess, only purslane is a succulent and has a different texture and almost a mild lemon-ish taste. But yeah.

Jen said...

i think i might have some of this growing in my yard, i didn't know what it was, so i've been pulling it out and throwing it in the compost.

Caitlin said...

Can you believe I came out of a long spell of lurkdom to comment on purslane? And you've had some delectable recipes that I have enjoyed, too...
I've known about purslane for some time, but unless I find it growing wild someplace - I've used up my 'stash' in my yard-I don't get to have it. It is wonderful, altho I can't seem to convince anybody else of that fact!