Sunday, August 03, 2008

Kid-Friendly (and Chicken-Friendly) Eggless-Salad Sammies

Since my youngest 'Sprout' and I had to entertain small non-veggie people today, I kept it simple with fruit, pasta salad and Tofu (Not)Egg Salad Sandwiches.

The weather was beautiful, bubbles were everywhere and the sandwiches disappeared in minutes with many requests for seconds, and not a single wrinkled nose.

My kids have grown up on these; we always call them "Happy Chicken Egg Salad Sammies" since they taste just like "real" egg salad but the chickens are, of course, MUCH happier with us!

Kids usually like the mild seasonings in these sandwiches; Fix these however your family likes/liked their egg salad, this recipe is just a good starting point...

Happy Chicken Egg-Free Sandwiches

1 lb fresh firm Tofu (the kind packed in water), drained
1/2 cup garbanzos
1/2 Walla Walla (or other) sweet onion, minced fine
1 stalk celery, minced fine
1/8 tsp Indian black salt (optional -- adds "egg" flavor)
1/8 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp. celery salt
1/4 cup Vegan Mayo (or as much as you like)
2 tsps yellow mustard (the cheap stuff is fine)
1 Tbsp minced pickle or pickle relish - sweet or dill whatever your family prefers
1/4 tsp hot sauce, or to taste
1/8 tsp paprika
Salt and black pepper to taste
.
Cut tofu into small diced cubes.
Mash or puree garbanzos as creamy-smooth as possible.
.
Add about a third of the above finely diced tofu to garbanzos and mash in, until still slightly chunky. (This is like the "yolk"...)
.
Mix in black-salt, turmeric, celery salt, mayo, mustard, hot sauce, and paprika until well mixed.
.
Add remaining tofu cubes, celery, relish, diced onions and
mix gently.
Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper (if too sweet
add a drop or two of vinegar.)

Serve on bread or toast, with mayo and lettuce; spread on crackers; stuff in celery sticks or hollowed-out tomatoes in you wanna get fancy-pants on me; whatever.

11 comments:

Binx said...

This looks delicious! I love making eggless egg salads, ad this is different from what I normally make. I will give this a try soon!

Anonymous said...

My 5 year old niece is going to be visiting me for 2 weeks and I'm looking for some kid-friendly recipes. This is definitely getting bookmarked. Thanks for sharing!

Rose said...

I've never like Egg Sandwiches, but these tofu ones look really tempting!

Anonymous said...

I wish I could try this one out--I've made egg(less) salad before and frankly thought it was just plain gross. I bet yours would be awesome though....

I think if I wait another few months I'll be able to tolerate a bit of soy here and there, so I'm looking forward to next spring when maybe I'll be able to revisit this post. ;) ^__^

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I have yet to find an eggless egg salad that I like, but this one really sounds like a winner! What a good idea to add in the chickpeas!

Courtney

Tofu Hunter said...

Thanks again for another awesome looking recipe! I look forward to making this. My Grandmother used to make eggless-egg salad out of tofu for me when I was a kid, but the addition of the garbonzo beans is a new (and fabulous) addition to the recipe.

Anonymous said...

Tofu Mom - this looks so great - I don't really like eggs so I think I would like this much much better!

Amy said...

I asked at an Indian restaurant if they carried India black salt in their grocery next door, but the server said it gives ppl diarrhea! I keep seeing it in veg recipes but now I'm worried to try it... any problems noted?

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Indian Black Salt is often used in Ayurevedic cooking to HELP with digestion (it is said to relieve flatulence and gas). I have never heard of anyone suffering ANY ill effects however. I use it all the time in my family's food and no complaints here. You just use a very little bit at a time anyway, much less than regular table salt.

This is a new one for me. My favorite Indian Restaurant uses it in several of their chaats and chutneys. I can't imagine they'd use a product that was going to adversely affect their customers, but I'll probably post a question over at VeggieBoards.com though 'cause I'm curious.

Seriously though? I doubt there's anything to worry about used in reasonable portions. It's used commonly by many veg*ns out there in the same manner I use it, I think word would have gotten out if this was a problem.

esther said...

love to try thos one to....as soon as I can find out, what garbanzos are??

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership by providing engaging widgets containing your blog's rich content. You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your Blog

I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com