Saturday, June 14, 2008

Vegan Weddings are the Best!

Congrats Anthony and Suzanne!

No recipes today; we just got back from a truly beautiful wedding, and I thought I'd share some pics.

I originally met Anthony (the groom) on my favorite message-board, VeggieBoards which I've probably only mentioned a thousand times.

Since he was also from the Seattle-ish area we got to meet in real life as well. You find a lot of good people on VeggieBoards!

Anyway, Anthony was a huge support when I was struggling with those first few months of going vegan and put up with a lot of Instant Messenger whining and griping from me too!
.
So, fast forward a few years and here he is getting married! Awwww....
.
His lovely bride, Suzanne is also vegan. How lucky two people are when they find someone compatible like that! I'm so happy for them!

The wedding was held at a beautiful farm with gardens, grounds and banquet facilities that just seemed perfect for a vegan wedding.
.
Food was catered by Araya's Thai Place and it was simply amazing - all sorts of unique dishes including a couple I'd never had.

It was all arranged so beautifully! Of course I had to take pictures!

Avocado curry, fresh spring rolls, fried spring rolls (pic), Tofu Satay on rosemary skewers (pic) Japanese pumpkin curry, pineapple fried rice...

My favorite discovery was this beautiful dish called Mieng Kahm.
I had to look it up when we got home. It's traditional Thai "street vendor" snack food and wow... soooooo good!

The idea is you build your own appetizers from the little green Bai Cha Plu (or betel) leaves that you wrap around your choice of fillings and pop in your mouth; toasted fresh coconut, fresh ginger, red onions, Thai chili, lime, peanuts and a palm sugar sauce. (Non veg restaurants will also have dried shrimp, just a heads-up). Each filled leaf is an intense bite-sized explosion of Thai flavors. I can't say enough about how yummy this was!!

Wedding cupcakes were from VCTOTW. Suzanne, the beautiful bride, made them herself and they were delicious!! I'm totally smitten with the whole "cupcakes-for-weddings" trend. Such a cute idea!


My youngest Sprout loved the scary-green Jones Soda, (the adults had wonderful organic, vegan wines) and cleaned out the supply of fried spring rolls (thanks for ordering extra, Anthony!).


Then, somewhat bored with the reception festivities, she found friends to play a mean game of football with on the farm's lawn, until it got dark. So lady-like.

A good time was definitely had by all.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww!!!!!! That's so awesome that you got to go to a vegan wedding!! A million congratulations to the happy couple!

ED

PS the food looks AMAZING!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

So lovely that you got to see a friend get married - what a beautiful ceremony!!

Bianca said...

Vegan weddings are awesome! I wish someone would invite me to one! I always love to glance through the vegan weddings in the VegNews wedding edition.

Julie said...

How cool to be at a vegan wedding! The happy couple looks soo in love..

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

so fun!

Unknown said...

I'm jealous! I want to go to a vegan wedding. My son would have cleared out the eggrolls too. If it's deep fried, he likes it.

Calimaryn said...

How lovely! Those cupcakes, and indeed the entire array of food, look so delicious. My best wishes to the lucky couple.

JENNA said...

I had cupcakes at my wedding. I highly recommend everyone have them. I would love to be invited to an all vegan wedding.

Erin said...

Looks like an amazing wedding! And that food! I would stuff myself silly. Glad everyone had a good time.

Pink Theory said...

yay for vegan weddings! that food looks so yummy. I would also love to be invited to a catered vegan wedding, but sadly I don't think that will ever happen b/c all my friends are either omni's or already married!

Maggie said...

That looks like the best wedding ever!

Carrie™ said...

I'm a sucker for a romantic story (and not to mention delicious food). What a wonderful post! Thank you for sharing it with us.
It's amazing the people you can meet through the internet. I've been fortunate enough to actually meet some of these friends live and in person as well. Special friendships indeed.

Unknown said...

Yes, we thought it was pretty cool too :D

Thank you everyone -- and especially Princess Tofu -- for your kind words. The next adventure for us: vegan baby boy, due this Fall, on my birthday!

Anonymous said...

I am so excited! About 12 years ago, I was at someone's house party and she served Mieng Kahm. I have never since been able to remember the name of the dish or exactly what was in it but seeing yours brought back vivid memories. I agree - it is a wonderful explosion of flavors. Blogging is so awesome. I learn something new all the time. Thanks for sharing.

Veggie said...

What a beautiful wedding. I wish I could go to a vegan wedding. The food looks amazing!!

The FR girl said...

You know Field Roast has an awesome VEGAN pate made with truffles that would be an elegant addition to any vegan wedding!!