Monday, July 02, 2007

We have a new dog!

My children told me last week that they were ready for a new dog.

I'd been leaving the decision up to them after they lost their precious Chelsie just this past May.

So armed with much "suitable-breed" research and high hopes, we trotted off to the Humane Society on Saturday, to see what was available in the doggie department. I told the kids we might have to look for a while, and maybe even return several times, to find a dog that we felt was "right" for us.
The place is a HUGE labyrinth of adorable faces and wet noses and I always want to spend time with each dog. If I had my way (and money and space!!) I'd return home with every single one of those big, shaggy, old, not-so-adoptable dogs (though they DO have a good record - this shelter is well on their way to meeting the goal of being a "no-kill" shelter by next summer). But I digress...

We walked through the kennels and looked at lots of dogs who were great; sweet, wonderful, adorable - but wouldn't work for our situation for whatever reason - "not good with cats", "can't go outdoors", "not for small children"... I didn't think we were that picky but we kept having to walk past dog after dog...

Finally at the very end of the last row, (isn't it always that way?) we discovered a little guy whom we all fell in love with immediately!

Well, the shelter happily put a "hold" on him and said he'd be ready for pick-up Friday. My kids were bummed we couldn't bring him home right then and there, but the staff explained there was a waiting period, plus all adopted dogs got a vet check-up, x-rays, shots, a behavioural evaluation and a microchip - and all that took the employees some time to complete....
So this morning (Monday! Five days early! Wow!) I got a call and the shelter had "our" dog ready to come home. They had completed all the evaluations and such in record time, because they needed as many empty kennels as possible for the 4th of July.

They said they get over 200... TWO HUNDRED lost animals into the center after the noise and confusion of the 4th. I know this is a large-city shelter - but...wow!(PLEASE make sure your pets are safe and secure if you'll be celebrating!!!).

This afternoon we proudly brought "Wilson", our darling little Rat Terrier, home with us!! I am positive he's as thrilled as my kids are!

10 comments:

Tracy said...

OMG, he is too frickin' cute! I am sooo thinking it's time we got a dog, but we're waffling due to our lifestyle...not sure we'd be suitable "moms and dads" yet. But seeing this little guy is making me really wistful....

Veggie Cookster said...

Aw, what a heart-warming story! So cool you adopted from your local shelter. :) He's a cutie! I used to help my local shelter with their press releases, and we always sent one out this time of year reminding people that animals can get scared of fireworks. It's an unfortunate reality that so many furbabies get lost this time of year. :(

bazu said...

Wilson is SO cute! you and your family are doing so much good by supporting the humane society and adopting from a shelter. I hope you and your kids enjoy many happy years with Wilson. And kudos to your shelter for working to become no-kill. It's sad that animals have such a rough time every fourth of july- I'll be extra careful to keep the kitties inside and safe tonight.

Kate said...

What an adolrable dog! It is so great that you got the little guy at a shelter. Is he really energetic and hyper?

Candi said...

Wilson is adorable and so lucky!! Good for you to supporting the Humane Society! He looks like a cutie and I can't wait to hear how he adapts to your home.

Great tip on the 4th of July pets and running away! Mine always stay inside, but I never thought about how many are outside and scared out of their minds! Poor little things!!

Anyhow, congrats on your new family member!

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

Congratulations and welcome home Wilson!

And kudos to you for adopting. It's astounding, how many there are our there in need of good, loving homes. Sounds like Wilson hit the jackpot with yours!

aTxVegn said...

What a cutie! Wilson has a great home now.

madeinalaska said...

what a lucky dog! When we adopted our cat we had to wait too.. lucky for us though the nice lady put a rush on it for my little ones sake.. They too were very sad not to be bring the cat home that day.. but, we got to back the next day... great post btw.
Julee

Webly said...

awww!
I always tell people to stay home with their pups on the 4th, and that's what I'm doing tonight.

TB said...

oh my gosh, he is so cute! congrats on your new dog; what a lucky guy to get such a wonderful home :)