Friday, June 08, 2007

"Fresh Spring Roll Salad"

OK, so I got the bright idea to make fresh spring rolls (or salad rolls or fresh rolls or Vietnamese spring rolls or whatever they're called in your neightborhood) and I bought all the ingredients and rolled a bunch of the lovely things...

And though they don't LOOK all that great, (I'm still learning to get those rolls all perfect and wrapped nicely) - well, they tasted AWESOME!

But for some reason I'd WAY over estimated how much "stuff" I needed so I had a ton of leftover filling ingredients but no rice paper wrappers.

So what else is a good vegan to do but make SALAD!?!

My kids loved it so much they told me to write down exactly what was in it so we could have it all the time... WOW! Wish I could get that sort of response when I made kale or lima beans. Anyway, despite the rather boring picture, it WAS super-tasty, as well as cool, crunchy and refreshing - I'll definitely make it again.


"Spring Roll Salad"

1 head romaine lettuce
3 'stems' of fresh mint (10 - 12 leaves) 3 'stems' of fresh Thai basil (10 - 12 leaves)
1 cup bean sprouts
1 carrot, shredded large (I used a potato peeler)
1 daikon radish, shredded large (again I used a potato peeler to make large thin shreds)
thin strips of baked or BBQ'd tofu
snap peas

Chop romaine coarsely, put in salad bowl. Remove mint and basil leaves from stem. Chop coarsely. Add to lettuce.

Add rest of ingredients and toss well.

Top with as much dressing as you like and enjoy...

Dressing
1/4 cup Sweet-Hot Chilli Sauce (see picture - this stuff is AWESOME, despite having pictures of roast chicken all over it, it's perfectly vegan.)
2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/4 cup peanut oil
1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil

pinch of sugar or salt to taste if you prefer

Whisk ingredients together, serve over the above, or other asian-type salads.

5 comments:

KleoPatra said...

i <3 Spring Rolls!! How cool an idea to make a salad a la spring rolls!! Nice dressing, must try... 'Tis the season for salads like this. And btw, your spring rolls DO LOOK all that great!! Your kids know their stuff...

Anonymous said...

looks very good!

madeinalaska said...

Spring rolls are one of my FAVORITE foods EVER!!! and well, the whole salad idea sure beats rolling them!! Bravo! great idea and well, if the kids are begging for them they MUST be awesome!

Susanne said...

Mmm, all your recipes are making me hungry tofu!

Good thing I'm off to a vegetarian restaurant tonight. It's called 'Lentil as Anything' and they have no fixed prices- you pay what you think the food is worth. It's a great concept and the food is delicious.

LucyDelRey said...

Yum! Spring rolls make a great summer meal. Here is a great recipe(submitted by yours truly) for peanut dressing:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Thai-Peanut-Dressing/Detail.aspx
I feel I can at least offer your at least one recipe sine I have have been trying some of yours. Enjoy!