Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Scones for Supper!

We had a rough day!

I decided to just make some comfort food and everyone's favorite treat tonight for supper; Blueberry Scones and tea.

I know, not much of a supper but it's all we were in the mood for.
It also gave me a chance to use up some of last summer's blueberries I found lingering in the freezer.

I thought they turned out rather purdy...

Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze

2 cups flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp vegan margarine
1/3 cup soymilk
egg replacer equivalent to 1 egg
1 cup frozen blueberries

1/2 cup powdered sugar
juice of 1/2 a fresh lemon

Preheat oven to 450°F.
Mix dry ingredients. Cut in margarine.
Make a well in the middle, add soydrink and egg replacer.
Mix with a fork to form a soft dough. Add frozen blueberries.
Stir carefully.
Shape into 2 discs about 3/4" thick.
Cut each disc into quarters.
Put on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes, until light golden brown.

Make glaze: Mix powdered sugar with enough lemon juice to form a medium thin glaze. (A teaspoon or two, but it doesn't take much)
Drizzle over scones.
Serve warm with vegan margarine and/or jam and of course, hot tea! :swoon:

12 comments:

Julie said...

Those look awesome! Sometimes that's just what you need for dinner.

Also, sorry to hear about your dog...those pictures are beautiful, though...

Anonymous said...

this looks very good!

Suzanne MacNeil said...

comfort food! just what the doctor ordered. Sorry to hear about your loss, chelsie looks like such a sweet little dog. What a fortune that you all had pictures done beforehand. I'll send good vibes your way. :)

Seems that I have all these ingredients on hand, so I do believe I will try my hand at baking.

My omni brother told me about his "nightmare": He was searching for something to eat, but all he could find in the pantry were hundreds of bottles of little white pellets, labelled "vegan egg white substitute". haha. I told her such an exact thing likely doesn't exist, but it did prompt me to go out and buy a box of egg substitute for baking. I'll show him that the lovely things created with the help of such products are hardly the stuff of nightmares. Yum!

Anonymous said...

I love your idea ! The scones look great :) We sometimes will have pancakes for supper... ;-)

I'm so sorry to hear about Chelsie. It must be very difficult to be without her. She was such a good friend and she gave back all the love you gave her, I'm sure.
I so agree with you, it's must be of great comfort that she didn't have to go to a scary and unfriendly place in the end.

{{{hugs to you and your family}}}

scottishvegan said...

What gorgeous scones. Very purdy as you said :)

aTxVegn said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Chelsea. I know the pain of losing a pet. You have some lovely pictures to comfort you.

Surely those scones lifted your spirits. I do believe those are the prettiest scones I've ever seen.

KleoPatra said...

Oh that looks sooooo good!

MeloMeals said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of Chelsie... man.. that is just rough and so sad... my heart goes out to you and your family.

Sheree' said...

Your scones look wonderful. I think you all deserve this type of dinner that is what comfort food is all about. :o)

Tracy said...

You know, I just happen to have some blueberries I need to use up..I may have to try this recipe out soon. But tell me, are they OK cold?

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

You know, they are just fine cold - perhaps slightly less tender and more firm and ...dry maybe? But still good. By the time we all make it to the table they're certainly not HOT anyway!

I do need to mention, I make mine thicker than my instructions say to - I like THICK scones.

Susan said...

Oh, I am a sucker for that powdered sugar and lemon juice glaze! These look really amazing!