Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Gnocchi with Tempeh in Gravy

This gnocchi is so simple!
Basically, several years ago, I just took a regular recipe and omitted the eggs... and it still turned out fine! Which sort of surprised me.

It's now a standard "warm and cozy" comfort-food supper for us.
Here's all that's left in the serving bowl when I jumped up to go get my camera... (pout).












Gnocchi
(the best way to explain how it's pronounced is: "nyucky").

Peel, and then boil eight medium sized potatoes.
Drain and mash well.
Add 1.5 to 2 cups (12 to 16 oz) of flour, and mix gently until everything sticks together but does not stick to your hands.
(My Grandma says the more you knead, the more flour you'll end up needing, and the more flour you use, the more heavy the gnocchi become. You don't want heavy gnocchi)!
So take the dough and off hunks, and roll into 1/2" ropes.
Cut into half-inch pieces, and dust with flour. Roll each piece over the back of a fork to make ridges if you want them - I usually skip this, even if it is a traditional step...
(Besides, it's tricky. You smoosh the piece against the fork tines, then roll it down and off the fork).
Drop gnocchi into boiling salted water.
When they float to the surface (2-3 mins later) they're done.

Tempeh in Mushroom Gravy

Slice 15 med. size mushrooms and sautee in olive oil until cooked.

Take 1 package tempeh and cut into small cubes. Add to pan with mushrooms. Simmer in 1/2 cup white wine until liquid has absorbed and reduced. (About 10 min.).

Add 1 1/2 cups of "beef-style" brown vegetable broth (or vegan bullion powder mixed with 1 1/2 cup water) and bring to a simmer.

Mix 1 Tb. cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and pour into simmering broth/tempeh. Stir with wire whisk over med. heat until gravy thickens and bubbles. Taste and adjust seasonings if you want.

Pour over well-drained gnocchi. Garnish with chopped parsley if you want to be all fancy.

2 comments:

Dori said...

This gnocchi looks good. I recently saw a magazine article telling how it was made. I ripped it out and stuck it in my want to make soon folder. It was not vegan but I figured by the time I had a bunch of potatoes to harvest I would figure something out.... now I get your experience, so i don't have to wonder whether they would turn out. yeah!

Anonymous said...

I'm catching up on your posts (I've been slow reading my feeds lately), and you know, at this rate, my whole next menu plan is going to be from your blog. :-)

(So excited to find a vegan gnocchi recipe. It's my favorite!)