Saturday, May 05, 2007

Asian Market Finds

We had to go into the city for a few errands this weekend, so we stopped by one of our favorite places; the Asian Market. To celebrate Cinco de Mayo. (Kidding! That was my kids' comment...) Anyway, I love the place because I always find all sorts of inexpensive, yummy - and vegan - goodies.

Just thought I'd post some pictures of our favorites...

Here's my daughter's first choice: Vegetable Dumplings (or steamed buns) filled with mushrooms, cabbage, bok choy, leeks and TVP - just steam and serve... simple, low-fat and filled with veggies my kids will actually eat - always good in my book!


Next up: Look at these boxes!

They are Japanese, marketed just for tofu storage, and they were 50 cents each! It's a 3-pc. set consisting of box, lid and mesh insert to hold the tofu. They fit my bricks of fresh tofu nicely (which I also get at the market, in bulk). I'd always had a problem with decent storage for bulk tofu though; ziploc bags were drippy and a pain, and I hadn't found any plastic containers that were a good fit - but these are perfect - and reuseable! The insert helps you pick up the tofu up out of the water without fishing around breaking the tofu and making a mess with water draining all over the place. Yes, I have these problems sometimes, you probably don't. Anyway, as you can see, I immediately put them to good use. (I know, I get WAY too excited over simple things...)

Korean sesame candy - usually this stuff comes in a big bag; dry, crunchy and individually wrapped, but this stuff's made fresh! Chewy, nutty candy made primarily with peanuts and white or black sesame seeds, it tastes a lot like very nutty peanut brittle. Oh my gosh, I could eat this stuff long after it was good for me. (though sesame seeds are a great source of calcium and protein, so I figure that's a great excuse!!).

Canned mock meats and coconut milk. The mock meats seem weird in a can, I know, but they're surprisingly very good! Read the labels of course but these are just chunks of seitan in a broth - great in stir-fry or curry.

Then there's this: "Seattle Ramen". You gotta LOVE it!!

It's the store's own brand of "Top Ramen" noodle soup (which is just the model health food, I realize), but the 'Hot and Spicy' variety here happened to be vegan, so we couldn't resist picking up a few packages...

8 comments:

Tracy said...

Don't feel bad....heck, ramen noodles are a guilty pleasure in our house, too!

Anonymous said...

That candy looks great. It actually looks really fresh through that packaging!

Anonymous said...

wow! very interestinf post!!
the tofu storage looks great, at that price way better.

aTxVegn said...

That tofu container is a great find. I may have overlooked them at my asian market, which I absolutely love! I hear ya on the sesame candy - yum!

bazu said...

I love finding cool things at Asian markets, too! Those steamed buns are my favorite- just steamed, with a side of veggies, and a little dipping sauce, and I'm in simple dinner heaven. I love the look of those sesame candies. And yes, I love mock meats- my favorite is BBQ mock duck. And fresh tofu! Love it!

yeaaahtoast said...

I would kill for tofu boxes like that!!! And steamed buns are a staple round here (i'm a little chinese!), you should go for veggie gyoza too, it's deeeelish!

Webly said...

I love asian market finds! Those tofu containers look awesome!

scottishvegan said...

I love the tofu containers…how cool! I usually make a right old mess trying to get it out of my tubs! The candy sounds great…I think I would be able to munch quite a lot of that in one go!