Friday, May 11, 2007

Brunch last Sunday...

Wheeeeee!

Had an amazing and totally vegan brunch at Tacoma's Hillside Quickie Too last Sunday with my friend, Froggy. How I love going out with friends who enjoy vegan food as much as I do!
OK, Hillside is a little hole-in-the-wall "vegan soul food" restaurant that I just HAD to blog about!!! (They don't exactly have a website, but tons of rave reviews all over the web if you're interested... ).

Not sure how many of you from the greater Pacific Northwest read this blog, but if you're in the area, you GOTTA go!!

Hillside Quickie restaurants (Seattle and Tacoma) are run by siblings from Tacoma, WA. Their mother, a follower of the Rastafarian religion and diet, began a wholesale vegan food business several decades ago.
The menus mainly feature sandwiches and wraps filled with some sort of flavored tofu, tempeh or seitan. Some of the more interesting choices include the Mama Africa which is a quinoa millet burger, the Fire Roasted Yam which comes with smoked seitan and smoked yams, and the Big Fish, a mock fish burger made with breaded tempeh.


They are probably best know for their organic, gourmet vegan sandwiches, especially at the Seattle location(s? I think there are two in Seattle now). From reading reviews on the web, I don't think many people even know about their marvelous Sunday brunch...

Brunch isn't off the menu; you are seated, and served blueberry coffee-cake, juice, coffee and a plate FULL of dee-lish home-fried potatoes, grits, tempeh, spicy fried tofu, spiced apples and...um...other things I can't even remember but it was wonderful!! If it sounds like a lot, well, it is... *burp*
I didn't even THINK to take pictures until we were finished (doesn't Froggy look content and satisfied reading his Sunday paper?) Anyway, if you're into myspace, you can see mouthwatering pictures of many of their goodies here, and fellow blogger Candi visited and took pictures last fall too! There are also pastries, cookies and daily specials including their Macaroni & Yease (made with nutritional yeast. I've had it before too - SOOO yum!).

So, yeah, that's basically all - if you're ever in Tacoma, Washington, you absolutely MUST, MUST, MUST stop here and partake.

10 comments:

aTxVegn said...

I'm glad you got to enjoy a fun outing with great food. We need a new veggie place here in Austin.

I hope you enjoyed your mother's day!

Dori said...

I am no where near Seattle, but if I ever am i will stop at this restaurant ... awesome that everything is vegan! Seems like Seattle has no much vegan food that a trip there for that purpose is tempting!

urban vegan said...

Sounds wonderful. It is so nice to share good food with great freinds--esp. on the weekend.

scottishvegan said...

It sounds great. I am pretty unlikely to ever be near there, but if I am I will definitely go!!

JENNA said...

i need a place like this in new jersey. so jealous.

JENNA

Anonymous said...

We have a few places in this area (but not my little town) that are veg and it definitely feels nice to be able to eat what you want without worrying about what's in it.
By the way, I made your scone recipe and, while I messed it up a little, it still tasted great. Thanks for sharing.

bazu said...

Lllllgggghhhhh (just the sound of me drooling with hunger and jealousy- that brunch sounds great. Any vegan brunch would be good, actually! Syracuse restaurants, are you listening to me??)

Kate said...

Sounds like a great veggie. I am on the eastern seaboard, but if I am ever in the area i'll be sure to hit it up.

Rachel said...

I absolutely LOVE Hillside Quickie's and Quickie Too's! And the Mama Africa burger is sooo good.

Olivia H. said...

What is with Shaun's sweater?!? This dissapoints me. I thought we gave him advice on sweaters last winter.