Thursday, May 31, 2007

Baked Taco Ring

Another quick and easy recipe that's one of my kids' absolute favorites!
In fact this whole post was my Middle Sprout's idea!

Now, I realize the original idea for this dish (meat-wrapped-in-dough-in-a-ring-shape) probably came from some Midwestern Church Potluck and was not even remotely vegan or "taco"-like... then Pampered Chef cookware consultants grabbed the idea because the recipe went so well with their round stoneware baking pans - and was quick and easy to impress customers...
Well, you know me... give me any good ol' omni recipe and I'm gonna do my darndest to vegan-ize it. And this, I must say, turned out pretty good! And like I said, it's one of my kids' favorites, to both bake AND eat so...

My disclaimer: just know this isn't the healthiest thing in the world (oh, get over it!) and it only graces our table when my daughters are doing the cooking and menu-planning...

And another point to note:

The recipe uses Crescent Roll dough, the kind in the refridgerated, poppin'-fresh tubes tubes.
Don't freak out.

Several brands are actually vegan, believe it or not!
Yes, they have lots of artificial stuff and weirdness which I can't pronounce, (I said "vegan" not healthy!)
but read the label of your chosen brand carefully. You may be surprised. (I use the generic ones from our supermarket - they at least have LESS artificial everything than some name brands...).

If you WANTED (and were insanely ambitious), you could mix up your own whole-grain biscuit or bread-dough and use it to wrap the filling.
That would be awesome.... and require way more time and patience and bread-making expertise than I have at the moment.

I like this recipe just as it is though - because it's quick and easy and my kids can make it. No apologies.
SO...
Here's the recipe and (as you can see) step-by-step photos; because putting this together can be tricky, but it's also half the fun!

Vegan Taco Ring

1/2 Package Boca Crumbles or aprox 1 cup crumbled soy burger
1 cup cooked rice
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup corn (I use canned just cause it's more convenient)
1/2 cup pinto or black beans
1 cup shredded cheddar soy cheese
2 8 oz pkgs. refrigerated crescent roll dough

Garnish:
lettuce, shredded
1 med. tomato, cubed
small onion, chopped
black olives, sliced
salsa
Tofutti sour cream
Crumble the burger, rice, salsa, corn and beans into a frying pan.
Before turning on the heat, mash the mixture together well with a potato masher OR your hands (my kids use their hands!).

When well combined and a bit 'sticky', turn on heat and add soy cheese.

Stir over med. heat until cheese starts to melt and get sticky.
Set aside 'meat' mixture while laying out crescent roll dough.

To make a 'ring': Arrange crescent triangles in a circle on a 13" baking sheet, with dough triangle bases overlapping in center, and points to outside (there should be a 3-inch diameter circle in center). See pictures.

Spoon meat mixture in a circle over dough (as shown in our handy-dandy picture!)
Fold points of triangles over filling and tuck under base at center (filling will not be completely covered).
Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Pile lettuce in the center, and garnish with whatever other goodies you like -we have a tomato hater so we couldn't put those on for the picture, they sure look pretty when you DO have them, however...



Serve in wedges and add more toppings if you want. Yum!






14 comments:

Anonymous said...

is very pretty! looks so tasty! thanks for the step photos.

bazu said...

Ahh! That's gorgeous! I love biscuit dough in all its forms.

LisaJean119 said...

Hey there..I've actually been checking out your blog for some time, but haven't commented until now. That looks awesome! And blah... whatever to anyone who would complain to the "artificalness" or whatever of the biscuit dough.. lol... I just wanted to let you know I like your blog:)

Unknown said...

Looks like something my kids would love, but only if you left off all the lettuce and olives. We can't have too much food mixing you know!

Webly said...

Fantastic! I love easy recipes like this. I will have to give it a go during my next party.

JENNA said...

this is definitly one of those meals i would have loved when i was in middle school/high school...and i would actually probably love this meal right now...unfortunatly my husband has different feelings on a meal like this. he has no taste.

JENNA

Anonymous said...

I'm a huge cresent roll fan. I used to sell Pampered Chef so I love that you veganized one of the recipes. Your ring looks perfect, very pretty.

Susan said...

This looks great, and fun. It's the kind of thing you could serve to unsuspecting omnis, too, and they might not even notice. I am definitely going to try it out soon.

aTxVegn said...

That is beautiful and no doubt absolutely delicious!

danakscully64 said...

Wow! That looks amazing and I'm sure my boyfriend would love it! Thanks for the recipe!

Veggie Cookster said...

Two thumbs up for this recipe! It was so yummy... and easy! Yet, the presentation looks like I slaved over dinner. LOL Thanks for sharing the recipe and the photos... don't think I could have put it together without the photos!

Keep up the great work! :)

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

what a fabulous idea!

this would make a great addition to a spread for many guests!
love it.

TB said...

woah, this looks awesome! great idea, and who cares if it's not the healthiest... we vegans eat "the healthiest" most of the time, so we can afford to splurge a little sometimes! :D

Anonymous said...

that looks SO good.... definately on my list of summer fare to make!