Monday, May 28, 2007

Happy Memorial Day; and a recipe for Mahogany Seitan "Riblets"

Woke up this morning to 40 degrees and POURING rain and yet it sounded like someone mowing my yard... "WHAT THE HECK?" I thought in my sleep-befuddled state.


Turns out my Dad and my Uncle felt the need to surprise me with some yardwork (That was sadly LONG LONG overdue on my part!). Aren't they hilariously cute in their old-guy hats and plaid shirts? And isn't my yard a jungle!?!
Well, the weather wasn't co-operating, but being of hearty Russian stock, they decided to have a go, even in the miserableness of a Washington downpour. Needless to say, I was thrilled to get the three-foot-tall lawn mowed (but oh why so EARLY?).

The story behind this, my mower broke for the final time, last fall, and I kept saying I'll get a new one, after THIS bill is paid or THAT bill... you know how it goes.
Then, I thought I'd find some teen-age neighbor kid who'd like to make a few bucks, but do you think any of the perfectly nice, but I'm sure juvenile delinquent hoodlums in my neighborhood could be motivated by the measly pittance I could pay, or better yet, even knew how to MOW a lawn? Ha! Finally by the end of May, I wasn't sure WHAT I was going to do!

So that was my wake-up call this morning. Thanks Dad and Donnie. It's AWESOME!
<-- My Little Sprout was thrilled 'cause she got to spend the morning with her cousin while the guys mowed out in the rain and damp. (Who knew you could mow in a downpour!)

Anyway, we're going to a picnic this afternoon (the sky is clear now!) Hopefully it'll be a little warmer or we can bundle up...
I'm making my much-requested Mahogany Glazed Seitan "Riblets". These little things are addictive and people gobble them up like cocktail weenies! (Only, I never liked cocktail weenies and these are so much better for you!)
Mahogany Glazed Seitan "Riblets"
1/2 cup Chinese hoisin sauce (or Chinese BBQ sauce)
1/2 cup tamari soy sauce
1/4 cup honey (or molasses or agave nectar, depending on how intense you want the flavor)
1/4 cup Chinese plum sauce
1/4 cup dry sherry (or white wine)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
5 large cloves garlic
1 Lb. mild (like "chicken") flavored seitan cut into finger-size strips.

In a blender or food processor puree together all ingredients except the seitan.
Combine with seitan in large ziplock bag and refrigerate overnight if possible.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Line a large shallow baking pan with foil.
Set a large cake rack inside the pan.
Arrange seitan strips on the rack.
Roast 1 to 1 1/4 hours, turning often and basting with marinade.
Then turn oven up to 450 for about 10 minutes to crisp if needed - they may be chewy enough at this point, check one to make sure.
Serve warm or at room temperature with little toothpicks if you like.
These are SO yummy as leftovers (if you have any!).
They make a great BBQ pork substitute in fried rice as well!
And... it's a great way to use up that homemade seitan experiment that didn't turn out quite as you wished.
Happy Holiday Weekend everyone!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

that was very sweet of them. the seitan looks very good. and i love the girl photo. too cute!!!!!

Anonymous said...

i forgot i need to ask you a personal question can you email me?
or give me your email addy?
thanks!!!!

Tracy said...

I'm going to make those riblets!! That recipe sounds perfect.
And wasn't it great of those guys to help out like that? This would be a good excuse for baking them some cupcakes. (I love any excuse for baking something...sometimes, celebrating Tuesday is enough of an excuse for me!)

Sheree' said...

What a blessing you received! Your riblets looks so yummy. Did you use homemade seitan or store bought? If it is homemade can you share your recipe? Hope you had nice picnic.

bazu said...

those ribs pop out of the page- delicious!

Kate said...

Mahogany glazed seitan "riblets" sound like somthing I need to make for my anti-veg brother.

urban vegan said...

Lookin' good.

Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

i've been looking into seitan rib-like ideas lately and yours looks yummy, sounds wonderful and seems very easy to whip up.

can't wait to try it!