Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Hummus!

I've been so insanely busy the last few weeks, I'll try and post the pictures/adventures that I have saved up!!

Today for lunch I went super-simple: hummus and veggie sandwiches.

The hummus is from an idea I got last time I was visiting in New Mexico. Green Chile Hummus. :DROOL! SLURP!:
I promise it's NOT spicy though, the chiles are very mild.

The sprouts are daikon radish sprouts from the Asian market and one of my FAVORITE sprouts! (Except for the sprouts also known as my kids - of course :) Also known as Kaiwarena, they have silky crisp white stems, crisp green leaves, and a peppery bite; they're a good source of Vitamins A, B, C, E, and K and minerals: calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, zinc and copper. Who knew?

Here's my hummus recipe, for those who are interested. I never seem to have tahini around so always use peanut butter instead, and no one seems to mind - I also use freshly -cooked garbanzos but I think this turns out fairly well with canned, too.

HUMMUS

4 cloves garlic
2 cups home cooked garbanzo beans (chickpeas are the same thing) with some of the cooking liquid OR 1 - 15 ounce can, drain and reserve liquid
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika (if you have it)
2 tablespoons plain soy yogurt or Tofutti Soy sour "cream"
3 Tb. frozen or canned roasted green chiles

Mince garlic in the bowl of a food processor or run thru a garlic press.
Put garlic, along with 2 tbsp. reserved liquid from garbanzos, and remaining ingredients, except green chiles, in the blender - (a food processor works, but will not produce as creamy a finished product).
Process until smooth, adding additional reserved liquid as needed to reach desired consistency.
Chop green chile coarsely in the food processor. Add to hummus.
Mix well, add more lemon, salt or pepper to taste and chill for a couple hours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks good.

Twisted Cinderella said...

Oooh that hummus looks good! I am going to give that a try!