Sunday, April 01, 2007

Quick Apple Crisp

So, we finally found Soyatoo Soy Whip Topping at our local health food store, a week or two back, and it's been sitting in the fridge just waiting for a dessert to top.

So Saturday Night, My middle Sprout got a craving for dessert with whipped topping, and decided it would go best with an Apple Crisp type of thing (at 9:00 at night, no less!) but she didn't want oatmeal or nuts in the "crisp" topping. "Good Luck!" says I.

Hmmm... so then she considered making a pie, but we were out of several ingredients there too,... after some searching the Internet, and the kitchen cupboards, she came up with this recipe. I was skeptical, but it turned out quite good and she's impressed me yet again.

The original recipe (sorry, not sure where she found it) called for a spice cake mix, which we did not have, (and I had never heard of being used in an apple crisp) but my Sprout found and substituted a yellow cake mix which still sounded weird but had very tasty results! I can't remember what brand she used, but it was some name-brand box mix that I'd discovered was "accidentally" vegan then had never gotten around to using.

Also used way less sugar than the original recipe called for, and the butter (obviously) was changed out for Smart Balance Light because that's what we had. I usually don't recommend Smart Balance Light for baking, but in this case it seemed OK.

Here's what the recipe looked like after all her "tweaking":

Quick Apple Crisp

6 Granny Smith apples - cored and sliced thin. (Sprout didn't peel them - I think because she was in a hurry! but they turned out fine. You could peel if you want, I suppose)
1 tsp. flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup Smart Balance Light, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Toss apple slices with flour, white sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Arrange apples in an even layer in bottom of baking dish. Pour water and lemon juice over apples.
In a medium bowl mix together cake mix, brown sugar, and cinnamon.

Stir in melted butter or margarine until ingredients are thoroughly blended (you might not need it all); mixture will be crumbly. Sprinkle mixture over apples.
Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes.

Warm from the oven with the Soy Whip? Amazing stuff! (Both the apple crisp AND the soy whip!)

6 comments:

scottishvegan said...

Mmmm…the apple crisp sounds really yummy! I am not too crazy about Soyatoo though, but it does make the apple crisp look pretty!

aTxVegn said...

The apple crisp looks really yummy! Good for middle sprout for impressing you.

I can never get Soyatoo to come out of the can more than once. I've wasted a lot of money on that stuff!

Twisted Cinderella said...

The apple crisp sounds yummy and easy!

bazu said...

I want some, I want some! Go, sprout!

KleoPatra said...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh wow, Tofu Mom. This is so fantastic!

monica said...

I really enjoy your blog and can't wait to try that ranch dressing recipe! We love our ranch, too. I'm also going to try this apple crisp recipe because every time i buy apples it seems like they go bad before everyone eats them. I've made two apple pies in the past two weeks and see another in my future. This will be yummy!