Monday, November 02, 2009

Pumpkin and Potatoes in Red Curry


My Mom gave me a small mountain of wonderful fall veggies this weekend, and tonight I made just a smallish dent in them with this random curry sort-of-thing.


Sorry for the dreadful picture - winter lighting in my kitchen is awful.

I think Caribbean cooking uses pumpkins and curry, so hopefully the flavors I came up with don't seem too outrageously weird to anyone... I know it was devoured by my family.

Pumpkin and Potatoes in Red Curry

2 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 medium onion,chopped
2 red or green bell pepper,chopped & deseeded
1 Tbsp. Red Curry Paste (or any curry paste you like, or curry powder)
1/4 Tsp.ground cloves
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 cups peeled, cubed pumpkin or Hubbard squash
2 cups cubed white or red potatoes
1 regular size can stewed tomatoes
1 cup water
1/4 tsp. salt
1 large garlic clove,crushed
1 tsp. finely shredded fresh ginger
fresh cilantro (optional)

Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan.
Add onion and pepper, stirring a bit until onion is tender but not browned.
Add the curry paste or powder and cook for just a minute or two to incorporate the curry into the oil.
Add the cloves, tomatoes, pumpkin, potato, stewed tomatoes, water and salt.
Stir to mix.
Cover and cook on lowest possible heat, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. If it gets too thick, add more water, you want it to be stew-like.
When pumpkin and potatoes are tender, and pumpkin is thick and sauce-like, stir in garlic and ginger and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes. Taste and add more salt or pepper if desired. Garnish with cilantro if you suddenly remember at the last minute that you have some!

3 comments:

Bianca said...

Pumpkin and curry sounds like a perfect combo to me. Honestly, you could put curry in ice cream, and I'd be cool with that.

Anonymous said...

Yum--I don't think that photo looks dreadful...I think it looks delicious and is making me drool!

Courtney

Jody from VegChic said...

Yum, I love pumpkin anything!