Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Vegan Alfredo Sauce, Two Recipes


Time for a (*gasp*) repeat.

Yes. I've posted both of these lovely Vegan Alfredo recipes several times - but they seem to get buried deep in the archives of my blog and for whatever reason, even I forget where they are.

Alfredo pasta is always a requested favorite with my friends and family (vegan and not). Since I KNOW the recipes are a reliable hit and they're both super-easy to throw together, these were my fall-back this summer if (when) called upon to "bring something" to whatever impromptu potluck or gathering we might be involved in.

With that introduction, VEGAN ALFREDO, TWO WAYS, HERE YOU GO:

OK, OPTION #1:
Cashew Garlic Alfredo Sauce (with option for RAW Alfredo):
1/2 cup raw cashews (not roasted)
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice (I don't measure, just a good squeeze)
1 1/2 cups boiling water (or not boiling, if you want an RAW sauce, the texture will be less creamy, but still good!!)
1 clove garlic (or more to taste)
1 Tbsp. extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 Tb. nutritional yeast (optional)

Pulverize raw cashews in the food processor until very finely ground, but NOT until they start to turn into cashew butter. Carefully add boiling water.
(*The BEST way to do this, is to make the sauce while your pasta is cooking and scoop out 1 1/2 cups of lightly salted pasta-cooking water and use it - the starch from the pasta-cooking water thickens the sauce PERFECTLY!)
Add water to cashews and process until smooth... this will take several minutes. Add nutritional yeast (optional - my kids prefer it without), garlic clove, olive oil and squeeze of lemon juice. Process again until smooth, another couple minutes, it'll start to thicken a bit too!
Taste and add salt, pepper or whatever you think it needs. Makes a really nice creamy sauce if you get the cashews ground finely. Serve over cooked pasta, potatoes, meatballs, etc...

OPTION TWO:
Vegan "Alfredo" Cream Sauce
1/2 c Earth Balance or other vegan margarine
2 cups soymilk/almond milk/ricemilk (unsweetened!!! NOT just "plain" as that is usually sweetened...)
1 package Mori-Nu Silken Tofu (the kind in the shelf-stable tetra packs)
1-2 tbsp lemon juice or white wine
2 tbsp onion powder
1 crushed garlic clove
1-2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp black pepper (to taste)
pinch of nutmeg
3 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in cold water

Blend tofu and soymilk in food processor or blender until creamy. Melt margarine, add other ingredients except cornstarch, in saucepan.. Heat over med low heat until hot, stirring often. whisk in cornstarch mixture and heat until just bubbling and sauce thickens. Heat until thick but don't let it boil.

--------------------
--------------------

Add chopped fresh parsley, basil, chives or other herbs as you like.
Also, some sauteed veggies, mushrooms, chopped Kalamata olives or your fave vegetarian protein. Pour over pasta, rice or potatoes and ENJOY!!


8 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

This is awesome! Thank you for posting these recipes. Great timing too, I have been wanting to make something like this but didn't know where to start. Looks good!

Jen said...

i love other alfredo sauces to try. i'll make sure to mark these. cashews, i think make the best alfredo sauce.

Bianca said...

I've had a similar tofu alfredo and it was so, so good!

Also, I think you just solved a problem that I've been having with my cashew cheddar that I use for my mac&cheeze recipe. I couldn't get it creamy enough, but I was using cold soymilk. I may try boiling starchy pasta water instead. Thanks for tip!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow...which one is your favorite? They both look really good! Do you like one better than the other?

Courtney

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Personally , my fave is the first one, the cashew based one. Because I LOVE cashew-based sauces SO MUCH... but they both are good in different recipes...

Judy's Nutrition said...

I love sauces like that first one - cashews are just so darn versatile!

Amy said...

I adore your cashew garlic alfredo recipe!!! I've made so many different things based on it (sauces, dips, a creamy pesto pasta sauce) and it's fabulous as it is too!

thatcrazyvegan said...

I made this Alfredo sauce and used it on Pizza. It was so yummy with spinach, broccoli and mushrooms! Thanks!