Friday, August 21, 2009

COW-FREE Raw Vegan Ranch and 'Regular' Vegan Ranch Dressing

Since this post is obviously about COW FREE Vegan Ranch, I thought I'd post some pictures of my kids, with, ironically, the cows on our neighbor's ranch...


Yes, ultimately, we all know where these cows end up, but they're friendly cows, and kept clean, well-fed and free to roam large pastures at least.
My kids love to "visit" them from time to time and the cows seem to enjoy it too, wandering over for petting and scratches (too bad this ranch isn't a VEGAN ranch, huh?)...

Anyway, on to the recipes: If there was one item my kids wanted in the fridge this summer (besides iced herb tea from my herb garden) it was RANCH DRESSING!

I think I made several gallons over the course of the summer months, all consumed with truck-loads of fresh veggies by hungry teenagers and their friends, cousins and random acquaintances.

I'll post my two standbys. (It's always nice to have more than one "favorite" for those days you're out of a key ingredient):
One is with raw cashews and is my fave, though I don't always have raw cashews on hand.

The other is slightly more "traditional", but I swear you'll be able to pass off either one as the "real deal" at your next Ranch Dressing Lovers Convention or family picnic!
.
CASHEW RANCH (with RAW option)
.
Soak 1 1/4 cup raw cashews for 2 hours
-- 3/4 cup soymilk OR water if you want a completely RAW dressing!!
-- 1/2 a lemon, juiced
-- 1/3 cup cider vinegar (I think that's raw, right?)
-- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
-- 3 cloves garlic
-- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
-- 3 teaspoons onion powder
-- 1 teaspoon dill (or 2 tsp fresh - fresh is better!)
-- 1 tablespoon sea salt
-- 1/2 teaspoon basil (or 1 Tbsp. fresh, fresh is better)
.
Drain soaking cashews. Blend cashews and soymilk, vinegar and lemon juice until creamy and smooth in your food processor - this takes a while. Then add everything else. Stir well.Let refrigerate 2 hours or overnight. Just before serving stir in an additional 1/4 cup finely minced parsley and 1/2 t more dill, minced.
.
.
----------------------
.
"TRADITIONAL" VEGAN RANCH
.
.
2/3 cup Vegannaise (vegan mayonnaise)
1/2 cup plain soy milk
2/3 cup Sour Supreme or Tofutti vegan sour cream
2/3 cup pureed silken tofu
1 tsp. white vinegar
1/2 tsp celery salt OR:1 tsp celery seed AND 1/4 tsp salt
*2 tablespoons chopped green onions (or fresh chives, chopped)
*1/4 teaspoon onion powder
*1 - 2 Tablespoons minced parsley (fresh is WAY better here)
*1(or more) garlic clove, finely minced
(*You can whiz the chives, parsley, onion and garlic with a little soymilk in the food processor to speed up making the dressing. Fresh herbs TOTALLY make this dressing!)
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
.
Use an immersion blender to combine all ingredients, or shake in a jar with tight-fitting lid.
Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference.
Chill for an hour or so to thicken and blend flavors.
Makes 2 cups.
.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Your cashew ranch dressing is another one I love and makes an appearance (or 100) in my fridge every summer! Yum!!

Awww adorable cows!!! (The kids are pretty cute too :P)

The Voracious Vegan said...

You must have read my mind! I have been trying to find a good vegan ranch recipe and both of these look just perfect. I can't wait to whip them up. I have been eating salads by the bucket load lately, I just cant get enough, and mixing things up with a new dressing will be such a great treat.

Anonymous said...

Brown cows are my favorite! I used to beg my mom for a pet cow--specifically a brown one--when I was younger :-)

Yum--I love ranch dressing! And I agree--fresh herbs are so much better than dried, and I happen to have most of the things called for on hand...ranch dressing here I come! Thank you!

Courtney

bazu said...

cow kisses! I'm swooning!