Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Vegan Green Chile Cornbread


OK, I got to talking to friends on FaceBook today (yes, I have no life!!) and realized my "old" (old, old) favorite cornbread recipe was most decidedly NOT vegan. You can tell it's been quite a while, and that I've settled for other cornbread recipes like THIS ONE which are still amazing and good, but not the old favorite I grew up on.... So I set about veganizing my favorite! And since it turned out on the first attempt, I'm proudly posting the results!!

There's not anything terribly original or unique here. It uses creamed corn (yes, it's vegan 99% of the time, read the label to be sure) which adds corn kernals and keeps the bread moist and of course there's a few green chiles for a little heat.

Vegan Green Chile Corn Bread

  • 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (you can use part whole wheat)
  • 2 Tbsps. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 8oz. can creamed corn
  • 1/4 cup WELL DRAINED chopped, roasted green chiles (settle for canned only as a last resort, if you have no access to the fresh or frozen authentic New Mexican green chiles...)
  • 3/4 cup plant milk mixed with 2 Tbsp cider vinegar or lemon-juice (vegan "buttermilk")
  • My "egg replacer" (1 Tbsp EnRGee Egg Replacer powder + 1 Tbsp ground flax seed, blended with 1/4 cup plant milk)
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Pour 1 Tbsp coconut oil into a 9" pan (or cast iron skillet) and bake for 5 minutes, until the pan is very hot.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Make a well in the center of this mixture, and pour the creamed corn, green chiles, milk, remaining coconut oil and egg replacer into the well.
Stir until smooth.
Pour the batter into the hot pan.
Bake until the cornbread is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out
clean, about 30 to 35 minutes.
Remove the cornbread from the oven, and allow it stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Have a great week!!

15 comments:

The Voracious Vegan said...

Well done on your first try! That cornbread looks so moist and luscious. I don't usually like cornbread because I find it too dry, I bet this recipe does not have that problem. I might have to give it a go. Thanks for the recipe.

Jen said...

i'm always looking for another way to make cornbread. way to go, tofumom!

frogonabike said...

I love cornbread! I am so doing this!

Erin said...

Your cornbread looks great! I have my favorite recipe too, and I always change it up by adding different stuff - whole corn, jalapenos, even chopped strawberries are really good.

Carrie said...

Yum this looks delicious! I adore corn bread!

Bianca said...

Yummy! I love cornbread! I need to make some again soon.

aTxVegn said...

This looks fantastic! And I've been looking for a recipe with the creamed corn in it - thanks!

MeloMeals said...

It looks perfect!

JENNA said...

oh that looks delicious! the creamed corn mush make it so moist.

Sheree' said...

OH my gosh!!! This sounds like the cornbread my grandma used to make. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Now to put creamed corn on the shopping list. Why do pay days seem so far away?:0)

Cynthia said...

Okay, okay, I am going to give cornbread another chance :)

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

Sounds really good, I love cornbread and like the idea of adding some chilli!

regina said...

its so awesome how down you are with the hatch chiles. mm!! When I first realized I liked them I was putting them on EVERYTHING. green chile pizza, grilled cheese w/ green chile. and if you haven't tried it yet, any kind of alfredo/mac&cheeze style pasta w/ tons of green chile in it. its great!

A Slice of My Life said...

Looks yummy!

I have a question about your egg replacer...is that for 3 eggs? I never thought to use EneRGee AND flax seed. What do you use for just one "egg"?

Secretnatasha said...

That looks delicious!