Thursday, August 21, 2008

Vegan Munchies!!

Vegans don't eat tofu and sprouts all the time. (OK, you know I just had to say that).

Seriously, these last couple days we've been busy with back-to-school shopping and appointments and as a result, have had rather unstructured mealtimes.
So, we've done a lot of shameless snacking. But hey - I figure snacking is worth blogging about too.

First up, we have Indian spiced, crunchy roasted chickpeas. You know they're the same as garbanzos, right?

(Yes, there are 565767 versions of these in every veggie cookbook and blog out there, I have no idea where I got the original recipe, but it's morphed so much from the original I think it's fine to post...).

Crunchy-Spicy Roasted Chickpeas

-- 2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained well and blotted dry (Note: I have always cooked my own chickpeas/garbanzos from dry beans, so I have no idea how this would work with canned, but I assume very much the same..)
-- 2 tsp. olive oil
-- 1/2 tsp. Indian Black Salt (which adds a rich smoky, sulphuric Indian taste, or just use regular salt if that's all you have...)
-- 1/2 tsp. cumin
-- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
-- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
-- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
-- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less if you don't like things too spicy)
*Pretty much, just use 2 - 3 teaspoons of whatever spices you like. These just happen to be my favorites.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Toss the chickpeas with olive oil in a bowl, until coated. Then sprinkle on seasonings and spread chickpeas on a nonstick bakingsheet.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and crisp, stirring several times.


And next we have a summer-garden inspired Italian twist on a Mexican-ish snack. Pesto may sound totally bizarre in a tortilla but it's a huge favorite in this house. Don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

Pesto Quesadillas

-- 3 Tbsp. your favorite pesto (here's my Pesto Recipe)
-- 1 smallish portbella mushroom, sliced thin (optional)
OR 1 garden-ripe tomato, sliced very thin
-- 6 large flour tortillas
-- 6 slices vegan cheese, your choice (I used Galaxy vegan Rice Slices 'cause they melt pretty well)

Spread pesto thinly on 3 tortillas - aprox 1 Tbsp. each.
If using mushrooms, sautee portabella slices briefly over high heat in a lightly greased skillet until lightly cooked. Lay mushroom (or tomato) slices on top of pesto.

Tear or cut cheese slices into strips and distribute over mushrooms/tomatoes. Place additional tortillas on top of the three "filled" ones.

Wipe skillet out after browning mushrooms. Heat to medium-high. Carefully (carefully!!) place filled tortilla in pan and cook several minutes until browning. (Or do these in a "George Forman" type grill, I don't have one but friends do and they are GREAT that way!!)

Turn and cook on the other side until cheese is melty and tortilla is crispy and browned, lowering heat if necessary. Repeat with other two tortillas.

Cut into wedges and serve with whatever dipping sauce. We opted for marinara tonight.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tofu Mom I am all for being as creative as possible with your quesadillas. I made one for my Mom tonight with black and green olives that were spiced with chili and cumin - so delish!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

YUM!!

Lauren said...

Mmm.. never tried roasted chickpeas (I know what mean about there being a ton of different recipes out there). Looks yummy!

Jen said...

i'll have to try the chickpeas sometime. as for tortillas, i think you could put a sock in a tortilla and it would probably taste good. you know i'm joking, right? seriously, the four food groups are: chocolate, frank's red hot, hummus, and tortillas.

JENNA said...

ahhh! I wish I could be snacking on those chickpeas and pesto quesadillas right this very second. I love the idea of the quesadilla!

nookle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nookle said...

Ooh - I have a comment for you. I make these too, and I also tend to do them differently every time. But, if you use a mixture of turmeric, sage, a little bit of curry powder and a splash of tamari/soy sauce - they will taste quite like breakfast sausages. I know - weird, but it's really good. These tend to be the seasonings, along with black salt (thanks, by the way) and nutritional yeast, that I use in tofu scramble. So good! I think it's the sage that is sausage-y?
Anyway - good!

Bianca said...

Pesto quesadillas sound absolutely amazing! Great idea! And I just love roasted chickpeas.

Carrie said...

I love roasted chickpeas so much...they are so yummy!

Anardana said...

Mmmm.. can't go wrong with pesto or roasted chickpeas... hey.. what about pesto-roasted chickpeas!?