Sunday, June 29, 2008

Vegetarian BBQ in New Mexico

Well, I took myself a little vacation last week, (and obviously neglected the whole blogging thing...).

I was lucky enough to spend a few relaxing (but VERY HOT) days in sunny New Mexico visiting friends and family who live in the area, including my good friend Shaun.

I'll share some highlights and (because I'm single-minded like that) mainly yummy food pictures from Santa Fe, Taos and Albuquerque over the next few posts...

OK, so Shaun (aka 'Froggy') is the organizer/head of "ABQ-Veg", the Albuquerque Vegan-and-Vegetarian Meetup Group.

He organised and planned the most AWESOME Picnic/BBQ Meetup for his group and anyone else who wanted to come. (Like me!). I was pretty proud of him, he heads a large group and this was a lot of work.
.
I brought my standard picnic macaroni salad and Shaun made his own secret-recipe baked-beans and also supplied the burgers, and pineapple - which was just INCREDIBLE when done on the grill!!! The boy has such creative 'Vegan-Grilling' ideas!
.

Other members brought tofu-and-veggie kabobs, dips, chips, bread, salads, veggies and such.


I actually helped out with the grilling a good part of the time, along with the Meet-Up's assistant organizer, Josh. I wouldn't say we knew exactly what we were doing when we started, we developed mad skilz on the BBQ quite quickly!!
.

It really was a lot of fun, despite the fact that I was sure I would die from the heat.

Lots of fun meeting vegans and vegetarians from another part of the country too!

6 comments:

trina said...

What a nice day! A successful gathering like that always makes me feel so inspired.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Welcome back to blogging :0) Looks like the meetup BBQ was a delicious event!

Nat said...

sounds like fun!! you look fantastic, i LOVE your hair!!

aTxVegn said...

How fun! Those pictures look like they could be from a good ol' Texas barbecue- heat and all!

Erin said...

Looks like a great bbq/picnic! Lucky you to get to go.

Latayy said...

wow this looks amazing
I plan to host a bbq like this next month
Will post pics next month

Tay