Sunday, June 22, 2008

Grandma's Birthday and Chunky Vegetable Dip

Happy Weekend all! School's out for those of us here in the Pacific Northwest who seem to attend later in the year than most areas. Despite our questionable weather, summer has officially started.


My Grandma celebrated her 85th birthday (doesn't she look GREAT!?!) and a bunch of us (including some of my cousins I don't often get to see) threw her a great little party.
I was the only vegetarian in attendance but there were plenty of good eats for me provided by thoughtful family. Portabellos on the grill, several salads, baked beans and even appetizers!
Grandma was very proud of the Hawaiian "Luau" theme, she's so cute...

OK, so I brought the baked beans (VERY boring, from a can, but I had to travel and didn't have room for much.)

I also made this dip which was a HUGE hit and NO ONE asked if it had creepy vegan ingredients. Try it. Seriously.

Chunky Veggie Dip

1 cup (8 ounces) Tofutti vegan "sour cream"
1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
1/4 cup finely chopped seeded cucumber (I use the English cucumbers that don't need to be peeled)
1/4 cup finely chopped jarred roasted red pepper (or pimentos)
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup finely chopped radishes
1 to 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced very fine
2 Tbsp. minced fresh parsley
2 Tbsp minced fresh dill (or 1 tsp. dry)
1/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish
1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/4 tsp pepper, or to taste

Directions: In a bowl, combine the ingredients; mix well. Cover and refrigerate. Serve with vegetables for dipping. Yield: 1-1/2 cups.

I served it with raw veggies, pretzels and crackers.

12 comments:

Bianca said...

Your grandma is SOOOO cute! And she totally doesn't look 85. The dip looks great too.

Nat said...

looks delic!! can't wait to try it!!

Julie said...

Your gma does NOT look 85!! She is soo stylish in her black & white outfit :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Such a lovely birthday celebration - your grandmother is definitely aging well!!

Unknown said...

This looks great! I cannot wait to try it. We have been looking for some good snack ideas.

Unknown said...

I want to look that vibrant when I'm 85!

Kumudha said...

Your grandma looks so cute!

And the vegan wedding looks wonderful.

Virginia said...

I will definitely try that dip for a cookout we have in a few weeks! Your daughter's blog is so cute and so is your grandmom!

Sheree' said...

wow! Your grandma looks wonderful and that dip sounds really good!

urban vegan said...

Your grandma looks fabulous! And so does that dip.

Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Aw happy birthday grandma! Food looks awesome!

Cynthia said...

Okay, I want to look like your grandma at 85! Sounds like a great time was had by all, especially the birthday girl!