Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Crock-Pot (Slow Cooker) Vegan Macaroni and Cheeze

Have I mentioned I love my crock-pot?

I have an older model Rival of smallish capacity that I got 20+ years ago as a wedding gift.

I've always used it for beans and soup, but in the last few years, as our schedules have gotten crazier and my kids' appetites bigger, I've been explored several new (and most of them delicious) recipes that have become family favorites.
This only takes about 5 hours so I don't do it on days when I'm gone ALL day, but it's still worth it to come home from an afternoon of shopping and have creamy mac-n-cheese almost ready. Results can vary depending on what sort of slow-cooker/crock pot you have, it pays to try this once while you ARE home to see how it turns out.

Crock-Pot Mac-N-Cheeze

Turn crockpot on high. Blend the following ingredients in the blender for 2 minutes until smooth:

1/2 cup very hot water
1/2 cup raw cashews

Add the following and blend another minute:

1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup quick oats
1 very small jar pimentos (about a Tbsp or two?)
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 teaspoon Umeboshi vinegar
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. Earth Balance or other margarine

Pour into crockpot. Rinse blender with 2 1/2 cups water and add to cooker.
Cook aprox 5 hours on low or 2 1/2 hours on high until sauce starts to boil in a few places around the edges. (If it isn't boiling on "low" after that time, turn to high.)

If not already on high, turn heat to high and quickly add:
1 1/2 cup uncooked macaroni, and 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheeze, and stir.
Do this and re-cover as quickly as possible so it retains the heat.
Cook on high for 40 more minutes (perfect time for while you make the rest of supper).

Uncover, stir again and let sit for 10 minutes or so for sauce to thicken. (At this point sometimes if I want to "fuss" I'll put the crockery part of the cooker in the oven and melt some vegan cheese over top. Or put cracker crumbs on top if that's your thing.)

14 comments:

Carrie™ said...

Mac & Cheeze in a crock pot! What a great idea.

Julie said...

oh my, this sounds sooo good. how would you recommend cooking the mac if we don't have a crockpot?

Anonymous said...

Very great idea!!!

Twisted Cinderella said...

This is a prime example of why I LOVE your recipes!

http://everaftermyway.wordpress.com/

MeloMeals said...

That looks and sounds delicious!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

oh wow, this is beautiful and tasty sounding!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Thanks :)

Julie, if you don't have a slow cooker, I would recommend another vegan mac-n-cheese recipe.

I've had good luck currently with this one: http://yeahthatveganshit.blogspot.com/2007/10/creamiest-vegan-mac-n-cheez-ever.html

Julie said...

ok, thanks tofu mom :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I actually have not craved mac n cheese once since going vegan until seeing that photo. Mmmm.. can't wait for lunchtime!

Nat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nat said...

vegan crock-pot recipes, YES!! keep them coming!! does being vegan get any better?

what kind of vegan cheese do you recommend?

Anna Down Under said...

Well I can't find pimientos OR Umeboshi vinegar in Australia ... any ideas for substitutes? Can I use any vinegar? I don't know why it's so hard to find pimientos here, but I have not yet found them. I suppose I could just cut up bell peppers?

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

FFVegan; Sorry those items aren't available in Australia. Yes, any vinegar works, Umeboshi is tangier and saltier. So carefully add more salt and a little lemon juice to taste. It'll be similar...
For the pimentos, try jarred roasted red peppers packed in oil or brine (not vinegar) The redness helps the cheese look orange-y and the peppers do add something... raw peppers would be interesting... I suppose as a last resort? But just a tiny bit is needed.

Latayy said...

wow
I love some comfort view
I do not have a crockpot can I put it at a low temp in my oven??