Thursday, February 21, 2008

Bourbon BBQ-Sauced Tofu

Oh man, this is such a great way to have tofu. I suppose I should have pictured it all healthy-like with rice and some greens and such, but quite frankly, I'd really PREFER to eat it plain.
Just like this.
Lick it off the plate.
And maybe DRINK some of the extra sauce.

Crispy Tofu with Bourbon BBQ Sauce

1 lb. firm tofu, pressed overnight in fridge.

Cube tofu, in medium cubes (or whatever size you want to work with, smaller is just more tedious)
Toss with a Tbsp or two of cornstarch until all pieces are lightly coated. Shake off excess.

Fry in hot peanut oil, turning until all sides are crisp and brown. Leave each side until it browns, do NOT turn constantly!

Remove from pan and drain on paper towels.

Add to BBQ sauce and simmer for 30+ min until sauce is thickened.

Bourbon BBQ Sauce

3 tablespoons margarine
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup bourbon (or apple cider I suppose!)
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed is best, mmmm)
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup dark molasses
2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce (or 1 Tb. soy)
1 Tbsp. or to taste, of your favorite hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a saucepan, melt the butter with the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for until golden, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine; add fried tofu cubes, reduce heat to low and cook until thickened, about 30 to 45 minutes.

You can stick cocktail toothpicks in the cubes if they are dense enough and serve at a party! We did this last New Years and it was a huge hit!!

6 comments:

Julie said...

Those WOULD make the best appetizers-droooool...

Sheree' said...

Have you tried it with the apple cider? I want to try this!

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

ooo dang this looks good.

Unknown said...

Oh yummy!!!! I wish I saw this last night. I tried to make BBQ tofu and it was just ok.

How do you normally cook your tofu? It is still a new food item to me.

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Veg-A-Nut;
I have made this without the alcohol, subbing apple juice (cause that's what I had). I also left some of the sweeteners out (just slightly less maple syrup and less molasses)to make up for the sweeter juice - maybe you wouldn't really need any sub, since the alcohol cooks out - it's just for flavor. I think it turned out fine, I just like the underlying flavor the bourbon adds, so try it without anything subbed if you want - the cider as a sub for the bourbon is just what my Grandma's recipe said to do...

Summer: Look through my blog, I use tofu in many ways. I'm not sure how you'd be interested in trying it, so I'm not sure what to suggest.
For a stir-fry or "cubes" like this recipe, start out with a firm WATER PACKED tofu (not the "Mori-Nu" type in the little boxes) and drain or press the liquid out (some people do this more than others) and then use in whatever recipe looks good.

There's many bloggers out there a zillion times more creative than I am!

Leigh said...

We tried this last night with apple juice in place of the bourbon, and it was awesome. Thanks for sharing the recipe!