Saturday, November 17, 2007

Individual Sweet and Smoky Chipotle Corn Custards


No. I do not cook like this all the time! This is for the "Veggie Boards IronChef Competition". (Read all about it here).


Sweet And Smoky Chipotle Corn Custards

2 Tbsp. vegan margarine
3 Tbsp. silken tofu
1 Tbsp. En-R-G Egg replacer
1 whole canned chipotle pepper (1 pepper, not one whole can!! Less if you don't have a tolerance for spices.)
1/4 cup Soy Milk
1 can of creamed-style corn (yes, most are vegan)
2 tablespoons of cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 Tbsp organic sugar

1 sheet pie-crust dough (I used store bought, though homemade is fine!)

Pre-heat oven to 375.
Melt margarine and set aside.
Blend all other ingredients except corn in food processor. Stir in corn and 1/2 of margarine.

Cut pie pastry dough into square that will fit custard cups or ramekins (I used 1-cup size straight-sided bowls, you might want to go smaller).

Press into cup, trim top evenly (I used scissors) and brush with melted margarine. Fill almost full with custard. Tap cup on counter to help ingredients settle and top of filling smooth out.

Bake for 35 - 40 min. until custard is set and cup is browned. (Less if the cup is smaller).

If it starts to brown too much, cover them with foil. Bake until custard is set up and not "jiggly".

Remove from oven.

Let cool for 15 min or until you can handle them. Remove from pan and set on baking sheet.

Pop back in the oven for 10 minutes or so to brown crust if needed (Or yours may brown OK, I had a non-stick pan so mine was pale and anaemic... I also tied a little bit of corn husk around as a decoration and because I was afraid it would collapse.

Let stand 5 min and serve.

Makes 2 (well, sorta 2 and a 1/2, I had a little filling left over).
<-- This is the canned chipotle I used.

8 comments:

MeloMeals said...

Wow.. these look and sound absolutely stunning and delicious

Unknown said...

Hey hun, you can definitely link up to my blog. Tomorrow when I'm able to get online I'm going to add yours to my blogroll :)

msorganiclady said...

Wow, this looks great!

I Love your blog. I checked out a bunch of your recipes and they all look delicious. Good luck with the competition... I've added your site to my growing Google home page :)

I'm vegan as of this year and I have a large Italian family screaming for their usual holiday cookies, Pignolis especially. I don't want to make them the regular way -ew!- and I'm not yet skilled in Veganizing recipes. I turned to the internet and after vegan blog- hopping for almost an hour, I stumbled across yours and thought I'd ask you.

Do you happen to have a Pignoli recipe anywhere in your arsenal? What would you recommend for the egg (whizzed tofu or egg replacer?) or could you point me in another direction.

Pignoli recipe I use:

1 pound almond paste
2 C granulated sugar
4 large egg whites, cold
1 pound pine nuts

They should be moist in the middle, slightly crispy outside, and they melt in your mouth (in case you've never tried one in your past).

Thanks for any help.

-L

msorganiclady@gmail.com
www.msorganiclady.wordpress.com

Lori- the Pleasantly Plump Vegan said...

i love corn and chipotle together. YUM!

Cynthia said...

This is terrific! What a beautiful and enticing presentation and I get to have my own personal custartd - love it!

Amy said...

Delish! Which side dishes do you serve them with?

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Glad you like them! Honestly, I hadn't thought about side dishes... by the time I made these, I was done.... heh, I might do some braised brussel sprouts, a green salad and some sunflower-seed rolls. Or who knows...

bazu said...

Oh no you didn't!! That looks ridiculously fancy- and good!