Monday, July 23, 2007

Zucchini Bread

I know it's been done a million times and we all have our favorite recipe.

Here's mine. It's vegan, and it's good and it uses up a little bit of that damn zucchini!

Zucchini Bread

2 cups grated zucchini (I shred mine really fine)
En-ER-G Egg Replacer (or Bob's Red Mill or other brand, whatever you use) equiv. to 2 eggs
1/2 cup silken tofu mashed
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar (sounds weird, but you won't taste it, it's essential to help baking soda work)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup applesauce or mashed banana
2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Grease 2 - 8x4 inch loaf pans.
Mix egg-replacer with water according to package directions (should be about 1/2 cup).
Blend egg-replacer with tofu and oil in food processor or blender until smooth.
In a large mixing bowl, combine zucchini, applesauce, sugar, vinegar and vanilla extract.
Add tofu mixture to zucchini and mix well.
In a medium size mixing bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder.
Gradually mix dry ingredients into the zucchini mixture.
Pour batter into the prepared loaf pans.
Bake for 40 to 60 minutes.

This is a great recipe, and easy because you can adjust it according to what you have on hand.
Use less egg-replacer and more tofu, use all tofu (though it may be more heavy...).
I have tried the flax-seed egg substitute here and honestly it doesn't work so well - if someone else has better luck, please let me know!!
You can use all applesauce instead of oil (though it will be more crumbly).
You can use banana instead of applesauce.
Use all whole wheat flour if you want.
Add nuts or raisins or chocolate chips if you like.
(I sometimes add chopped, dried apricots - YUM!!)
I've even used shredded carrots and apples instead of zucchini, sometimes I use 1 cup zucchini and 1 cup well drained bits of pineapple.
You can add a little more shredded zucchini too, though the bread will be more dense and heavy.
It makes great little muffins for my kids breakfasts too!

This bread freezes well, makes a nice gift, and ships great.
Depending on conditions, it can stay out of the fridge, wrapped in plastic, just fine for several days, though it never lasts that long.
(Don't tell anyone, I mail out zucchini bread all summer long to unsuspecting souls who haven't managed to hide from me and my baking skills yet, they think it's from the Zucchini Fairy!).

6 comments:

Sheree' said...

This zucchini bread sounds yummy! I think I would use the banana just to see what it would be like. I seem to always use applesauce.

Anonymous said...

looks moist and delicioso.

KleoPatra said...

omgosh, i wish i could have some of that. i used to make my own back when i had a friend whose garden would be overcome and overrun with zucchini and he would bring me big brown bags of it...

Love all the suggestions of how to tweak the recipe, TM. Thank ewe!!

aTxVegn said...

The bread looks great and the recipe sounds so delicious! It's definitely zucchini season!

TB said...

i love zucchini bread so much! it's my favorite bread. your recipe looks great.

Georgia said...

Wow I just made a version of this recipe and it ROCKED!!!You can check it out here if you want.

Thanks for the awesome recipe ideas.