Saturday, July 21, 2007

Tofu Scramble with Zucchini

Weekend breakfast. Yum.

Tofu scramble with zucchini and herbs from the garden.

Since I'm a toast freak, we had to have some toasted Rudi's Organic Whole Wheat Bread, and a couple nectarines on the side - we're still getting the most beautiful nectarines from the Farmer's Market!

Tofu Scramble is about the easiest and most basic thing I do with tofu.

My kids love it and would eat it three times a day if I made it! It's quick, it's versatile; I can season it any way I like, and usually whatever veggies we have on hand get added as well. Serve it with toast, rolled in a burrito, on an English Muffin, in a taco, in a pita... Best. Vegan. Breakfast. Food. Ever.

Tofu Scramble With Garden Zucchini

1 lb firm water-packed tofu, crumbled
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 of a white onion, chopped
2 small zucchini, chopped
1 tsp turmeric powder if you like it an "eggy" yellow
large handful of fresh basil-oregano and rosemary; chopped finely
2 tsp. veggie "chicken-style" bullion powder
*pinch of India Black Salt (Optional: but gives it a very authentic "eggy" taste! Look for this seasoning next time you're at an Asian or Indian Market)
salt and pepper to taste
oil for frying

Heat your skillet on medium. Add the oil.
After a minute or two add all remaining ingredients and cook, stirring frequently, until tofu has browned, veggies have cooked thru and it has achieved your desired consistency.
I like it pretty dry and crumbly. If you prefer it more moist, you can add 1/4 cup soy milk right at the end for "creamy" scrambled tofu.

You can add whatever seasonings you like, and whatever veggies as well. ANYTHING goes here!

2 comments:

Sheree' said...

Tofu scramble is the best. I eat it about 3 or more mornings a week. If fact, I had the famous tofu scramble with zucchini this morning!

Susan said...

This looks so good. I will have to look out for that India Black salt. Thanks!