Thursday, February 20, 2014

Vegan Caramel-Apple Compote on French Toast

Last weekend, my college-student-Sprout decided to bless us with her presence.

This usually involves a whirlwind weekend where she comes home, but actually visits people OTHER than her family, leaves clothes strewn willy-nilly about her room, raids my kitchen of all edibles and convinces me that I simply MUST cook her favorite comfort foods. Which I usually do.

But this weekend she threw me for a loop and said "Could you make French Toast with a Caramel Apple Compote?"

While I know my Sprout LOVES French Toast, I'd never had her ask for, nor had I ever MADE, a "Caramel Apple Compote" for said breakfast item... Who knows where she gets these crazy foodie ideas. I suppose that's what college does to you...
And.
Since I'm a Mom and a sucker for my seldom-seen offspring that way, I decided "I can wing this. How hard can it be?"
And I'm here to report it was ridiculously easy.
And I wrote it all down, so YOU can make it and drool over it and make yummy eating noises just like my (apparently) starving family did.

French Toast and Caramel Apple Compote

  • 1 French Toast Recipe of your choice:
Mine (shameless promotion) or Dreena's fabulous recipe or Isa's "Fronch Toast"... you get the idea...

  • Caramel Apple Compote:

3 large apples
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp vegan butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon apple or regular brandy
OR 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 1 Tbsp Apple juice/cider
1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice (or just cinnamon)
1/4 cup coconut or almond milk
1 tsp. cornstarch

Core the apples. Cut into thin slices, and then cut each slice into small pieces (about 1/2 inches square).
Melt the butter and coconut oil in a med/large sauté pan over medium heat.
Add the apples, and stir to coat with the butter. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 30 minutes or so, adding a Tbsp or two of water if needed to keep apples from sticking, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft but not falling apart.
Stir in milk. Bring back to a simmer.
Mix cornstarch with just a Tbsp or so of water. Stir into apples and stir as it starts to thicken. Remove from heat as soon as it's thick.
Let cool slightly before serving. Serve over French Toast, waffles, ice cream or eat with a spoon directly out of the pan.

3 comments:

Bianca said...

Yum!! That looks super-delish!!

Also, guess what? I'll be demo-ing at Seattle VegFest this year!! I wanna see you!!

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

WHAT WHAT!?!? You'll be at Veg-Fest!?! YES! Definitely! Let's do lunch or somethiggggg!

Amey said...

ugh, that sounds and looks AMAZING. I love french toast so much, it is probably my favorite breakfast treat! And the apple compote sounds glorious. I love that your daughter came home with such a fancy idea and that you just whipped it out! <3