Sunday, January 22, 2012

Storm; And Simple, Sweet Cornbread


Well, right after my resolution to blog in sickness and health, through good times and bad -  we were hit with the storm of the century... OK, of the year... Whatever.
We still lost power (and obviously Internet) for five days. I didn't like it.

Trees fell and blocked roads, ice made things impassible, not fun! Even cell towers were damaged, so my poor little cell phone was useless half the time! How inconvenient is THAT?

Amidst other, more important events, you may have heard about it on the national news; "Record Snowfall Followed By Ice Storm Disables Pacific Northwest - blah-blah-blah" - yes, that was our backyard.
And as one of the folk without gas or wood stoves, outdoor BBQ grills or generators, can I just whine a moment and say IT.WAS.MISERABLE! Keep in mind, I don't enjoy camping in the best of conditions.

     I'm not complaining though, really. We were together, we were dry and safe, there WAS a Starbucks open (but nothing else, not even McDonalds had power) and we had plenty of sandwich fixin's. I am sure there were others far worse off than us, and I hope they all weathered the storm as well!
At any rate, power is restored, my house is warm, my Internets work. I can blog again. So here we go.

My penny-pinching recipe of the day is a fabulously moist and sweet cornbread - one of my children's FAVORITE.

None of them are fans of the (probably more typical) savory, slightly drier cornbread, (though I do have a recipe for Confetti Cornbread that I LOVE - if you want savory, check that one out).

This recipe is an "all recipes.com" re-make and probably isn't packed with super-healthful properties; chia, twigs and wheatgerm. Add those ingredients if you're lucky enough to have them, then enjoy with some soup, or topped with maple syrup for breakfast!
Sweet Cornbread

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal (I like a fine ground cornmeal personally)
3/4 cup sugar, plus more for garnish
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup plain non-dairy yogurt or blended silken tofu
1 Tbsp flax-seed blended into 1 cup vanilla plant milk
1/4 cup coconut oil (or margarine) melted

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Liberally grease a 9 X 9 pan or 9-inch cast iron skillet.
In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.
Blend yogurt, plant milk/flax and margarine into dry ingredients until well combined.
Don’t over mix, the batter will be a little lumpy.
Pour batter into prepared pan.
Sprinkle top of cornbread with additional 1 Tbsp+ (more if you like that sugar-crunchy topping) of granulated sugar.
Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Let cool 10 - 15 min before cutting.
Drizzle with maple syrup when serving, if desired.

1 comments:

Ellie Hamilton said...

YUM, this is delicious!!! It's quickly become my specialty for church dinners and potlucks. Everyone asks who brought the cornbread and rhapsodizes about how good it is. We love it at our house!